Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG VW Beetle

GeeBee

I haven't been into the hobby room for some time and although I still have the Porsche 356 to finish off, I needed something to get me back into the hobby room, so i pulled this one off the shelf, I've had it since September last year.

I had a good look in my reference books to see just what colour I could do it, now the instructions mention a 1500, and in the catalogue it mentions the "Super Beetle" which this model is neither, it's a basic 1200, which was available in Europe until 1972 when in the '73 the 1200 had the rear wings and larger lights fitted, up until then you could still buy a basic 1200 with the smaller bumper and rear lights and they still had the older designed torsion bar suspension, I have had some VW Brilliant orange in the workshop for around 18 years with nothing to use it on, it will be used on this build.

There's a few mold lines on the bodyshop to remove, a couple around the front headlamps and around the rear wings, apart from that the body is flawless, there's 6 ejector pin marks on the inside of the front bonnet which were filled with bondo and sanded smooth.

The wheels and running boards were on the chrome tree and were popped in the oven cleaner and stripped of their chrome, the wheels will be airbrushed silver and the hubcap which is molded as part of the wheel will be covered in BMF.

DSCN0389.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0385.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ejector pin marks filled and sanded smooth

DSCN0406.jpg

Steering joint mushroomed over,

DSCN0414.jpg

Working Steering

DSCN0415.jpg

Engine cover Hinge

DSCN0420.jpg

Wheel back, Instructions tell you not to glue the inner parts, as you can have the wheels turning on the model, but as I've had a few models rool off the work bench, I fixed mine with cement

DSCN0419.jpg

Seat Base, very nice touch that the Tamiya version doesn't have

DSCN0423.jpg

Seats have some real nice molded in detail

DSCN0426.jpg

Inner roof panel, another nice touch

DSCN0427.jpg

Looking on the inside of the bodyshell, I noticed a lot of holes molded into the inside of the roof and front wings, looks to me like there might well be a police version coming soon, as Beetles were used a lot by the German Police

DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

The inner engine sheild are supposed to be fitted after the engine has been fitted, but a quick dry fit of the engine I found no reason they couldn't be fitted first and painted along with the floorpan.

DSCN0412.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

All the parts are now ready for a coat of primer, then they can be sorted into groups and painted in there correct colours, the body and body parts are also ready for a coat of primer and then the topcoat,

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8DjhI3KIXkFoqrtShEA5xVntq3XF4Vi0DoAuAOXshoM8Qw2vq

The rear window in the kit looks to be a tad larger than what is on the real car. Everything I've seen indicates the model car window is more like a 70s era body. Or am I just seeing this weirdly?

Edited by lordairgtar

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8DjhI3KIXkFoqrtShEA5xVntq3XF4Vi0DoAuAOXshoM8Qw2vq

The rear window in the kit looks to be a tad larger than what is on the real car. Everything I've seen indicates the model car window is more like a 70s era body. Or am I just seeing this weirdly?

That photo is of a pre '66 Beetle, so the rear window on the later Beetles were larger, in Europe you could buy a basic 1200, known as the 1200A, were made up until '73 using the old body complete with the original torsion bar suspension, smaller rear wings and rear lights, I'm building it as a '72, which is the year Brilliant orange was first used on the Beetle Edited by GeeBee

like it. Will it be totally stock or the total cal look treatment? Nice model revell has created.

If you follow any of my builds, you will know I only do factory stock, my models depict a car waiting in a showroom waiting to be sold, which is why all my builds have no number plates on

If you follow any of my builds, you will know I only do factory stock, my models depict a car waiting in a showroom waiting to be sold, which is why all my builds have no number plates on

sorry, I didnt want offend you, I am newbie on the forum, it was just a question