Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 SWB California!

jaymcminn

So I might not be posting as much lately, but that doesn't mean I'm not building... This is the ex- Italeri Ferrari California Spyder kit in its current release as the mysterious "European Classic Car" by Academy. Other than ditching the Ferrari scripts from the decal sheet and the valve covers, the kit is completely unchanged from the Testors/Italeri release.

This kit definitely has its share of problems... rampant parts sharing between the three variants of 250 Italeri produced (SWB, California, GTO) means some major inaccuracies that need to be addressed. The interior is completely wrong, with Spartan racing seats substituted for the Cali's tuck n' roll buckets, and the wheels and tires are clunky and toy- like.

The interior took the most work... the dash was accurate, if in need of removal of a nasty seam, but the seats and door cards were really bad. I scrounged a set of parts-box seats (originally from the Aurora/Monogram Aston Martin DB4) and re-scribed the seams and added piping from fine wire. After priming and painting they looked fantastic. The door panels had a gigantic map pocket covering the cutout in the door panel shared with the GTO kit. I trimmed down the map pocket and filled the hole in the door panel with sheet styrene. Styrene strip trim and some parts-box door hardware made a big difference. I scratchbuilt a radio box for the center console (saw one online that I liked) and replaced the clunky shift boot and shifter stalk with a scratchbuilt piece made from Bondo and wire. Here are some progress shots of the interior...

P1030257_zps4be65f04.jpg

P1030259_zps56b2563d.jpg

P1030261_zpsd872e706.jpg

,,,and the finished product, flocked and painted in Tamiya deck tan with a slightly darker wash to add some subtle color variation to the "leather". I painted the tops of the door panels body color, which was more accurate for the earlier LWB Californias but looks cooler in my opinion.

P1030307_zpsd63da98d.jpg

The wheels are the photoetched/plastic Hasegawa parts for the 250 Testa Rossa.shod with Tamiya Dunlop tires. The width is more prototypically correct for the California and makes a world of difference to the finished model. The same Tamiya Jaguar donor kit gave up its door handles, windshield wipers, and rear view mirror to replace the clunky kit parts. Fine mesh was installed in the side vents.

P1030313_zps18beab2a.jpg

P1030308_zps3279ff6e.jpg

P1030304_zps8d86672b.jpg

Scripts and the Cavallino on the rear license plate are from a Hobby Design metal transfer set and the badge on the nose is an E.Jan piece. Paint is Tamiya Maroon under Testors Wet Look Clear. The bumpers were stripped, some nasty mold lines and sink marks sanded out, and painted with Alclad chrome.

P1030318_zps51a3531c.jpg

Most of the engine detail is hidden under the large intake box, which might come off if I can find some better carbs. The kit valve covers had the Ferrari logo blanked out... these came from an Italeri GTO. I probably made 30 of these little mesh screens to get six really good ones.

As always, any questions or comments are welcome!

P1030316_zps4e882d71.jpg

Edited by jaymcminn

You did a great job and excellent attention to detail and accuracy! This is one kit I wish Fujimi would do, like their 250GTO. Besides the inaccuracies you pointed out, I've never liked the front fenders on these kits. They lack the meaty shape and crease running along the top like the real car. The resin Renaissance kit has a more accurate body (and correct interior, for that matter), but its a lot more expensive and doesn't include full engine and chassis detail.

You did a great job and excellent attention to detail and accuracy! This is one kit I wish Fujimi would do, like their 250GTO. Besides the inaccuracies you pointed out, I've never liked the front fenders on these kits. They lack the meaty shape and crease running along the top like the real car. The resin Renaissance kit has a more accurate body (and correct interior, for that matter), but its a lot more expensive and doesn't include full engine and chassis detail.

I agree about the front fender shape... the lower line of the front fender makes the rear fender kink look a little out of proportion. Not a deal breaker for me, but it is there. I'd love to see Fujimi (or Hasegawa, for that matter) take a crack at some of the other 250 variants, such as the Lusso. I have the Italeri SWB Berlinetta waiting patiently for a future build... that one might get an HRM Testa Rossa engine swap. Thanks for your comments!

The 250 SWB California is one of my favourite Ferraris together with the 250 GTO, great work of a very nice car.

By the way, doesn't Replicas & Miniatures Co Of Mayland have more accurate things for this model?

Edited by Force

Very nice job.

It's a shame that Italeri also has the wrong engine in it as well. It is the 250 GTO with 250 SWB intake and airbox. But, yes, the interior is, by far, the biggest inaccuracy. It does make building the kit a chore.

I'm thinking about scratchbuilding a correct air cleaner for this model, which should help the look of the engine bay a lot. I glued the airbox and carbs down with Krystal-Klear to make disassembly easier just in case. Thanks!

Edited by jaymcminn