Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM Strikes Back... With a Buick!

Lovefordgalaxie

Well, I was feeling kind of sad about GM. Last year I built a grand total of none, zero, nada, nenhum, GM product.

Soooo, last Friday I was at my local hobby shop for some paint and walking among all the Tamiya and Revell kits of modern Japanese and European cars that are all what people here loves (not my cup of tea) when I saw something nice almost hiding in the shelf: A brand new re-release of the AMT Buick Electra 225!!!! Oh my, a real car in the middle of all that less desirable stuff. Even not being a Ford, I grabbed that box already thinking "it's mine, this is the only nice kit here, and it's mine (insert evil laugh here)"

Got my paint, my 225 and went home.

Not only a nice car, but also the kind of kit I find to be the absolute best: AMT 1960s tooling with metal axles!!! There is an engine to build, but there are not many parts at all to be a pain, and four little screws keep the chassis attached to the body. It can't get any better than this, in my opinion, of course.

I built the Buick all original, and painted it with two cans of Tamiya TS-14.

painted the interior dark sea blue, to give it a classy look, some detail paint here and there and some BMF here and there and voilá, it was done!! No complications.

Hope you guys like my Buick Electra, all the 225 scale inches of it!!!

11979577673_9e976e0de3_c.jpg

The paint and surface detailing is perfect...... so I am reluctant to mention this because the build is just so beautiful, but with spark plug wires and a few more hoses under the hood, this would be difficult to distinguish from the real thing........but surely, you know how to paint and assemble a model car kit.....beautiful job.

Thank you gentlemen!!!!

Tulio,

Absolutely beautiful Great BMF work

Mike

Thanks Mike, believe you or not, the BMF inside the car was the real pain. The front seats are molded to the interior tub. Foiling the sides of the seats was, let's say, "entertaining?". Oh you got the picture!!!

The paint and surface detailing is perfect...... so I am reluctant to mention this because the build is just so beautiful, but with spark plug wires and a few more hoses under the hood, this would be difficult to distinguish from the real thing........but surely, you know how to paint and assemble a model car kit.....beautiful job.

Thanks peter!! I agree with you, I just have no patience to do that. It's very rare for me to add spark plug wires or heater hoses and fuel lines. I think I just did that about three or four times.

Drooooooooooooool!!! :D

Love the paint. And I agree, Nice Barge. Those old land yachts always seem to look really nice in dark colors, but those big flat panels show off every little flaw too. Your surface prep and paint are flawless! I built one of these a long time ago and finished it in light metallic blue. It was okay, but nothing like yours! Great job on a tough old kit!