Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL East Theme

FASTBACK340

It's the 50th. anniversary of the Rustang and circle your wagons…. Did ya know that the Barracuda beat the Mustang to market by 2 weeks, and it's the Barracuda's 50th. too (even though it was technically an option package on the Valiant initially….) this year? Did you know I bought a resin `69 Barracuda phantom wagon at NNL East 2 years ago? Could this be an entire Mopar / Barracuda build season? B)

post-222-0-91971700-1389966678_thumb.jpg

I see an anti-theme brewing in my head….. -_-

Edited by FASTBACK340

Well…….

The first generation Hemi was available in the fifties, in `64 the second generation "race" Hemi was available, then the "street" Hemi returned later in `67. Today's Hemi is referred to as the Gen3 version.

Now, the GTO comes to mind too. There was an iconic muscle car from each manufacturer that year. Why just the Mustang?!? :unsure:

Ponies…Fish….and Tigers.

Edited by FASTBACK340

Well the Mustang would be the only one actually in continuous production for the entire 50 years.

Yes, true. And I know the whole "Pony Car" title is derived from the initial success of the Mustang. But an anniversary is still an anniversary. GTO included….

I just wonder what monicker would have been coined if the Barracuda was more successful than Mustang. Would the "Pony Car" have been called……?

minnow cars?

funny, never tied the 2 together..... mustang and pony cars.

That's where the term came from. "Pony Cars" were Camaro's, Barracuda's, and…. the originator: the Mustang.

Fast Fins? Predators? Vicious? No good way to positively market a nasty fish unfortunately.

post-222-0-10953100-1389970554_thumb.jpg

BTW: My Wife uses a coffee mug with this image on it at work.

Great conversation starter….

Edited by FASTBACK340

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...