Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'd love to see everyone's builder/ collection room.

My question for those folks that have open display cases: how do you deal with dust? In my last setup, I had an open case and everything got pretty dusty. My current arrangement has a closed case and I don't have to worry about the dust. I'm in the process of moving and the closed case I have now won't be coming with me (it is built in to a wall) and all I have at the moment is open cases.

I'm in the process of moving and the closed case I have now won't be coming with me (it is built in to a wall) and all I have at the moment is open cases.

I keep my models in old china cabinets. I have two right now, one I got free, the second one from a used furniture shop for $100.

My car room is not what I'd like it to be but its home. I wish i could actually get some decent pictures of my room and whats inside but it just dont work to well on my phone. I can't wait to see yours.

Ahh yes, another Earnhardt fan!!!!!

Mine isn't this neat anymore... Lots of stuff piled up in the walk way now. It's tight quarters to work here but it's something...

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

Edited by DrKerry

Here's my corner of the house, years of searching yard sales, swap meets, flea markets,and yard sales, plus the help of a great wife. Not much happening here lately , Lost my job of 29 years, to work force reduction. I sit at the bench but nothing happens, hope this doesn't last too much longer.

Just a few quick shots from the basement:

12022430705_bdd338bf35_c.jpg

12022714143_3333cf23f6_c.jpg

12023265926_1374b51843_c.jpg

12023268336_4960f2eba7_c.jpg

The last shot shows my recently-acquired SMP '62 Chevy convertible. It took an evening's work with photoetch saws, a razor saw, regular and chisel X-acto blades, and a small screwdriver, but I got that windshield out intact without any new damage. Then I fixed the broken right windshield post, replaced the missing vent pillar with a piece of square rod (cut from a fan belt!) and ground down and polished out the windshield to remove the glue splotches. On the right is a '62 Continental convertible that may end up getting parted if I can't budge any more black paint off.

• 1 month later...

An update to my pictures I posted above. All moved in now and have everything just about all squirreled away. The downsides I have discovered are that there are only two outlets in the hobby room, and there is no built-in heat; the heater you can see above is not wired in. The electric fireplace is my only source of heat in the whole basement! I have a heat-blocking curtain hung between the two rooms to heat the hobby room easier. The cord hanging above my desk is for a 3 ft power bar that supplies outlets for my computer, lamps, modems for phone and internet, etc. Sure is nice to have some room to stretch now! :D

DSC_3573.JPG

DSC_3574.JPG

My question for those folks that have open display cases: how do you deal with dust? In my last setup, I had an open case and everything got pretty dusty. My current arrangement has a closed case and I don't have to worry about the dust. I'm in the process of moving and the closed case I have now won't be coming with me (it is built in to a wall) and all I have at the moment is open cases.

I had lots of the single display cases until I was checking Craigslist one day and saw an ad for a collection of Nascar die-cast cars for sale. The owner had passed and had displayed his cars in cases. I bought seven cases for less than twenty dollars each. So far I've ran out of space to mount them all, not to mention filling them. It can pay off to check Craigslist every so often.

My question for those folks that have open display cases: how do you deal with dust?

Since I really have no choice but open shelving I've simply learned to live with it. When ever I've got nothing to do or the spirit moves me while watching TV I will grab a few of the dustiest ones and give them a quick going over. I use a make up brush for most of the dusting. It is nice and soft so it mostly won't knock off the small details and you can get one cheap in any store that sells make up for women.

I used to use those cans of compressed air but found them to be too aggressive.

But the bottom line is that I just don't get too stressed over it. I've got models in my collection that are more than 30 - 35 years old and the aging of the decals and yellowing of the white paint looks way worse than a little dust. :D

Okay, here's my dream space. First of all I have to admit I'm very fortunate. I have the most understanding wife in the world and we own a 3-bedroom home and there's just the two of us so I have lots of room.

So here's the nickel tour:

My wife and I share the office/model room. This is the south wall, technically on my wife's side of the room.

office01-vi.jpg

My wife's desk looks messy but she does a great job of keeping all the bills paid and everything running smoothly.

office02-vi.jpg

This is my side of the room.

office03-vi.jpg

My workbench isn't always this neat and clean but you caught me right after my twice a year cleanup!

office04-vi.jpg

This is the north wall. Most of the models on this side of the room are NASCAR Cup cars.

office05-vi.jpg

This is the new shelf unit that I just built and installed next to the entrance to the room.

office13-vi.jpg

When I was writing magazine articles and doing a monthly column I really needed to be organized. So I found these great cardboard boxes in an office supply store and built this shelf to hold them all.

office06-vi.jpg

Here's a better look at the workbench itself.

office08-vi.jpg

Also, in addition to a small TV above my wife's desk I also have a full component stereo system in the room so there's plenty of entertainment too!

Edited by 2002p51