Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1957 Ford Custom

Erik Smith

Here is my Revell 1957 Ford built as an early 60s mild/backyard custom. Door handles, hood ornament, trunk emblem shaved. I trimmed the "fins" from the bumpers front and rear and flipped the rear bumper. Headlights are from Revell '32 Ford kit- I wanted the semi-bug eye look like the Ford truck headlight conversions, but I didn't have any of those, so…that's my alternative. Grill is scratchbuilt from styrene strips. I replaced the kit decal fabric with an early 1960 style pattern. Wheels and tires are Pegasus. I lowered the rear about an inch but tried to keep it period looking. Under the hood is from the box outside of the fuel line which was replaced with copper wire (and I added a clear fuel bowl/filter) and wiring. Paint is fingernail polish and was the main inspiration for the whole model. I decided on chrome trim all the way (as opposed to the correct body colored door frames) just to contract the white and purple.

IMG_7481_zps3024337e.jpg

IMG_7483_zps68ebc884.jpg

IMG_7486_zpsec1c528c.jpg

IMG_7488_zps50649b92.jpg

IMG_7489_zps655611fe.jpg

IMG_7490_zpsa5c3059b.jpg

IMG_7491_zpsba1142c7.jpg

And as seen at the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle...

IMG_7493_zps7005e824.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That came out perfect.

Not only the color is awesome, but the paint job is perfect.

The wheels and tires look just at home on the car, and the entire package is of extreme good taste.

The perfect custom car of the very best era of automobile design, and of the very best car manufacturer in the world. It can't get any better than this.