Model Cars Magazine Forum

In the 60s and '70s model kit bodies were soo much more accurate

I've always preferred the old promo-based annuals over later releases...including the much-talked-about '70 Cuda.

What we have here is an MPC '67 Mustang. AMT had the promo contract back then, and their kit was much more accurate looking than the MPC kit...better than the Ertl/AMT new-tool kit too.

I don't know if my MPC '67 is complete (instructions missing), but it doesn't have those oversize headlights in the box....it only has a pair of stock-looking headlights that look much more accurate.

Back in the mid-'60's any model company just had to market a Mustang kit, accurate or not.

Agreed, but, who made that and what kind of quality control department do they have? A bunch of chimpanzees and monkeys?

It's a Palmer kit. actually the parts fit wasn't all that bad except for the windshield and frame. it has those horrible hard vinyl tires that you have to force the wheels on to. I get the feeling they didn't want to get (or couldn't afford) the licensing fees to make an exact replica. .So they made this thing that kinda looks like a Corvette.

I build this probably about 5 or 6 years ago mostly to see how bad it really was. Hey, it was cheap. It didn't disappoint me in it's badness either. I knew to stay away from them when I was a kid.

Remember it was a different market back in the day.... the main customers were kids and we didn't know any better. How far do you think a kit manufacturer would get putting stock bodies in funny car kits today?

Funny thing. The target audience back then was the very same people who are in the manufacturers target audience today. Only we growed up against our will and we're a cranky lot!

Were they really?

:unsure::rolleyes:;)

BTW can anyone guess which brand released this pony?

DSCN2060_zpsa3053c54.jpg

DSCN2059_zps682b522d.jpg

It was the MPC annual kit. I built one of those in 1967, and had a ball doing it. Of course I was 10 years old. I also built an AMT kit. I guess I like Mustangs. Hey! I have a '67 Mustang under construction.

2009_0117janmomameeting090028.jpg

Edited by Ron Hamilton

It's a Palmer kit. actually the parts fit wasn't all that bad except for the windshield and frame. it has those horrible hard vinyl tires that you have to force the wheels on to. I get the feeling they didn't want to get (or couldn't afford) the licensing fees to make an exact replica. .So they made this thing that kinda looks like a Corvette.

I build this probably about 5 or 6 years ago mostly to see how bad it really was. Hey, it was cheap. It didn't disappoint me in it's badness either. I knew to stay away from them when I was a kid.

Oh yeah! It's bad! But the work putting it together doesn't look shabby! B)