Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine sold in retail stores

N~8~Ball

Can anyone please tell me what natonal chain stores or hobby stores carry Model Cars Magazine? I live in western PA and im trying to find a store(s) I can just go buy this magazine in person. I love the magazine and forum !!! Long story short Im DONE with receiving damaged issues in the mail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

You might want to ask your LHS to consider carrying the magazine. I have found it recently at a couple of LHS here in NC and when I asked when & why they carried it, the answer was "because someone asked us to".

I try to pick it up when I can, as I hated the wrecked copies myself.

You did Reply Tim, So did Ed Shaver on an identical post I had also put in the "general discussion" page. I had put it there by mistake as it was mis categorized and must have gotten deleted. I actually found a local hobby shop that handles the magazine. Thanks for the help guys. B)

Can anyone please tell me what natonal chain stores or hobby stores carry Model Cars Magazine? I live in western PA and im trying to find a store(s) I can just go buy this magazine in person. I love the magazine and forum !!! Long story short Im DONE with receiving damaged issues in the mail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Well it was allegedly supposed to be carried by Barnes & Noble, and there's one out there by the mall.

Amazing that Golden Bell Press can trash a magazine in all parts of the country and try to blame the post office I live in eastern PA and had my magazine trashed. canceled my subscriptition. When I lived in north Texas same thing. My local (35 miles) hobby shops, Barnes & Noble don't carry the magazine I've asked. I gotten to the point that I enjoy my magazines in a digital format via Zinio. Maybe Greg will eventually listen to us all screaming for years about how Golden Bell is screwing us and him and get away from them. He's got a great product I just can't get it. GO DIGITAL Is there a way we can have a pole Would you buy a Digital Subscription to Model Cars?

Edited by Bowtienutz

I wouldn't bother with digital.I like a paper magazine in my hands and available from my stash anytime I want it for reference.

The local Barnes & Noble here doesn't carry Model Cars but it does carry the competitor.I wish they carried both but there's a LHS nearby that does carry both so I'm able to make my buys there.

Edited by ZTony8

Hey Tony do you understand what a Digital Magazine is ? You get a email that you magazine has arrived, you can downloaded it, read it online, print out just the pages you want and also read it on mutipile platforms it a copy of it stays on the provider servers for your archive. Ever go to the doctor office or the tire store store and get bored. pull out you electronic device and hit zinio and start reading. I have 3-4 years of Zinio magazines of Car Craft, Hot Rod, Super Chevy,Pop Hot Rod, Camaro Performers, Family Handyman, Chevy High Performance,Drag Racer,Home Theather,Muscle Car Review,Scale Auto,Sound & Vision, Think of all the cluder this saves. Best thing about it I can open an issue and it is fully seachable via a keyword how cool is that. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it or don't understand it.

Amazing that Golden Bell Press can trash a magazine in all parts of the country and try to blame the post office I live in eastern PA and had my magazine trashed. canceled my subscriptition. When I lived in north Texas same thing. My local (35 miles) hobby shops, Barnes & Noble don't carry the magazine I've asked. I gotten to the point that I enjoy my magazines in a digital format via Zinio. Maybe Greg will eventually listen to us all screaming for years about how Golden Bell is screwing us and him and get away from them. He's got a great product I just can't get it. GO DIGITAL Is there a way we can have a pole Would you buy a Digital Subscription to Model Cars?

I'd definitely get a digital subscription if it were available. I get SA digital, along w/ the Hemmings magazines, Automobile, Road & Track, and Car & Driver along w/ some non-automotive titles. With Zinio I read them on my tablet or laptop...I love it. Other than MCM, the only other print mag I get is Collectible Automobile.

I wouldn't bother with digital.I like a paper magazine in my hands and available from my stash anytime I want it for reference.

The local Barnes & Noble here doesn't carry Model Cars but it does carry the competitor.I wish they carried both but there's a LHS nearby that does carry both so I'm able to make my buys there.

X 100000000 !!! On both counts.

Amazing that Golden Bell Press can trash a magazine in all parts of the country and try to blame the post office

There is no way that magazines leave a publisher pre-destroyed! The USPS rules for magazine rate is that they are presorted. So they leave the publisher in bales. In the old days they may have been tied, but today most of the bales are shrink wrapped. They are marked with symbols that tell the postal folks how far down they are sorted. The most complete sort is that the street address is the same. A magazine like Business Week may have enough subscribers inside a single company to go this way. The next sort down is that all 7 digits of the zip code are the same. Large circulation magazines like People no doubt have enough subscribers in a single zip code to send a bale all the way. That bale wouldn't be separated until it reached the final post office. So that bail probably doesn't see any machine sorting.

The next sort up is "3". That means the first three digits of the zip code are the same, and that goes to the regional sorting center, where the bale is cut open and the magazines are then sorted to go to the post offices within that region. This is the level where magazines go into the sorting system and could get damaged by automated equipment. Next up is State, which a small circulation publication like Model Cars may only have 25 subscribers in Idaho, so that goes to the state, and then it's broken down at that point. And smaller states like Alaska, the magazines may enter the mail stream as individual magazines from Denver. So magazines have different lengths of opportunity to get damaged by USPS sorting equipment.

And of course it depends on how the letter carrier handles the mail. Some will fold magazines in half to fit in a box or slot. Some may even read magazines during their lunch break, so if you get a magazine with food stains and crumbs in it, the publisher did not ship it that way!

The other things that comes into play would be the quality of the paper and how it behaves in the sorting machines. I don't think Model Cars is on any worse paper that any other magazine. So it's not the publisher! It's the postal service.

This is not related to your post, but I have had two issues arrive with the covers torn. One was shredded pretty good. The November issue also was torn in a couple of spots. I know the problem lies with the postal service, could the magazine be sleeved or shipped in a plastic bag ? i enjoy the magazine immensely, and keep them to refer to and would like them in nice condition. Thanks for all your efforts in putting it together.

Jimmy

could the magazine be sleeved or shipped in a plastic bag ?

Some of my magazines do come that way. Vintage Truck Magazine does. I just got three different Hemmings magazines without plastic covers and they all look fine. And I see that my wife just got a Kohls store flyer in a plastic bag so it can't be all that expensive to do so. The question isn't the cost of the plastic bag, but if the publisher has the equipment to bag the magazines. That would be the big cost. Buying and installing that piece could be too much for a small publisher.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 1 year later...

This is not related to your post, but I have had two issues arrive with the covers torn. One was shredded pretty good. The November issue also was torn in a couple of spots. I know the problem lies with the postal service, could the magazine be sleeved or shipped in a plastic bag ? i enjoy the magazine immensely, and keep them to refer to and would like them in nice condition. Thanks for all your efforts in putting it together.

Jimmy

If the problem lies with the postal service, why did my copies of Model Cars arrive in my mailbox damaged and not other magazines that I had received?

If the problem lies with the postal service, why did my copies of Model Cars arrive in my mailbox damaged and not other magazines that I had received?

I think Tom explained it further up the thread: different magazines, with different size circulations, will go through different handling procedures on their way to you, even if their final destination is always your mailbox...

bestest,

M.