Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate Kenz&Leslie Cougar Funny Car Decals

I just released two new sets of decals; 1) Kenz & Leslie High Country Cougar '68 Cougar F/C and 2) Kenz & Leslie High Country Cougar II '69 Cougar F/C. The first set is for the MPC/AMT '68 Cougar F/C kits that have been released over the years. The second set is for the hard to find AMT '69 Cougar F/C. These decals are the only accurate sets that correct errors on the kit decals

KenzLeslie68CougarFC-vi.jpg

KenzLeslie69CougarFC-vi.jpg

Wow Darryl...a lot of your what is in your images is wrong.

You missed the serifs on the Cougar, the Mercury script is not right, the High Country font is off and the mountain peaks are way too tall.

The '69 car changed the font of the Kumpf Motors also. It looks like there should also be outlines around a lot of the '69 text. And I do not see any peaks on the '69 car at all.

I used this to help research the Trans Am cars - I suggest you take a look at http://www.fordmercurycougarxr7.com/pages/DragRacing/Wynn's777.html

There are some really good period shots of the 68 and 69 cars.

Did you use something different as reference material that show them with the markings you did?

I've always liked these cars myself. Now if I can just figure out how to modify the grille to put the bar in for a '68...

Steve

Ok - the above link is messed up from pasting in.

Start here:

http://www.fordmercurycougarxr7.com/pages/Startpage.html

click drag racing, then click Wynns 777.

Edited by VRM

Hey Steve - these images are from the Kenz & Leslie archives. They are selling well despite your nit picks. I did not slam the errors in your midget sheets (of which there are many). I live and let live. I can claim to have the world's best selling midget decals. Sales volume proves that.

The bar in the grille for the '68 is so simple it hurts. Ever hear of Evergreen Styrene strip?

I saw that web site you noted and the mountain peaks are easily seen on 4-5 shots of the '69 Cougar. So much for your nit picks!

Ok - I guess decal guys get to go at it in the forum this week.

2 colour pics of the '69 car do not show the peaks, two other black and white shots do, but there are only two of them.

On my Midget sheets I am aware of a single error: Rodger Wards name is missing the first 'D'. I would be interested to know what else you think is wrong. If I missed something I would like to fix it in any future print editions. Bear in mind that my Midget decals were researched using period photos, not restored cars. Many of your Midget decals do not match those photos - I do not assume those are wrong as it is possible you have other photos of the cars at a different point in history.

You can make whatever claim you want - you don't know my sales numbers, so I'm not sure how you are so certain. I don't even know my own sales numbers. I'm not even sure why it is important.

The bar in the '68 Cougar is not as simple as it looks. I have some channel plastic from Plastruct, but the horizontal band is recessed into the vertical strakes of the standard grille - it is not just glued on top. And it cannot be cast if it is just glued on top.

I hope your decals are selling well even if a bunch of things are wrong. However, you have a chance to correct them and hopefully sell even more of them to people like myself who think that the details matter.

Steve

As interesting as it is to watch you two pick at each other's product, perhaps you would both be better served to do it via pm or email, that way you wouldn't look like a couple of schoolboys having a weanie wave. Just sayin'.