Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shooting themselves in the foot. California "Black Plate" program

Massachusetts allows YOM plates, but you need to cede ownership of plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

As long as the plate isn't in use on another car, you can use yours. For example, if you have 1931 plate 123.456, and use it, you're the only one who can use that sequence for YOM. If I had say, 1966 123-456, I can't use it.

The low-number (referred to as "reserved" plates) are very expensive, and even cleared standard plates in pairs (which the RMV requires), are getting a bit pricey- $30-50 a pair in nice condition. Technically, you're not supposed to repaint the plates and all kinds of other stuff, but that's given a wink and a nod, as long as the colors are right.

Some people also put regular antique plates on their cars as registration plates, and display the antique plates. As long as the modern plates are in the trunk, it's legal to drive with the YOM plates, even if they're not the "registered" plate, from what I understand. If it was me, I'd just swap 'em at the show to be safe.

Charlie Larkin

Here's a 1970 'Cuda 340 with its original-issue black / gold Calif plates (see photo attachment) . This exemplifies my assertion that some early 1970 model year cars were issued the "leftover" 1963-1969-era plates .

I have seen this car in person .

Its oddball feature is its standard 3-speed manual floor-shift transmission (!!)

EDIT @ 1335 HRS :

Well , I've managed to misplace or lose the images I had of the vehicle -and its license plates- as mentioned above ( :(:angry: ) . I'll have to keep looking ...

Edited by 1972coronet