Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 383

mrmike

Thanks guys!

As usual, I forgot about the side view mirrors when I painted the body and hood. A search through the box found only the passenger mirror and no driver's door mirror which seems to have fallen off the part sprue when the kit was put together. I placed an order through Revell's excellent part replacement service and received the new mirror in 10 days. I hope other builders do not abuse this service and only use it when a part is missing from the kit or was damaged at the factory!

70Cuda13.jpg

Save for a few touchups and painting the transmission, the engine is mostly complete. I need to add the air filter with 383 Super Commando pie plate decal.

70Cuda14.jpg

70Cuda15.jpg

More to come...

Thanks John! I sometimes struggle with the ignition wires getting them to lay just right. No kinks or sharp turns. I've started making my own plug boots, but they sometimes tend to be too long. I need to come up with a jig or some sort for measuring and cutting them to the right length.

• 2 weeks later...

Some painting for the afternoon.

70Cuda16.jpg

70Cuda17.jpg

I found it kind of odd that the Hurst pistol grip shift was not chrome plated. I painted the shifter gloss black and then sprayed some Alclad II Chrome paint through my airbrush and gave it a nice chrome appearance. I'll paint the boot flat black and the handle wood.

70Cuda18.jpg

More to come...

I have detailed the Hurst Pistol Grip shifter.

70Cuda19.jpg

The steering wheel has been painted but, I wanted to paint the fine silver trim that goes around the spokes of the wheel and I don't have anything handy to be able to paint it with. I may have to raid the wife's sewing box for a fine needle.

70Cuda20.jpg

I hung the pedals onto the back of the dash panel and mocked it with the interior. It's looking good so far and if you haven't noticed yet, I have decided to go with a white interior instead of black.

70Cuda21.jpg

More to come...

Thanks guys!

Charlie, I wish I could attend the MASSCAR show, but with my eye surgery a few days after, I have much to do prior. I wish you all a great show and know that I'll be there in spirit with my fellow Classic Plastic Model Club members.

I completed the interior this morning. Last night, using a magnifier and a steady hand, I painted the silver trim around the steering wheel spokes. I'm fairly happy with the result. Not bad for an old guy with so-so eyesight!
70Cuda22.jpg
The chassis is almost complete. I need to lengthen the driveshaft to reach the trans and install the 383 into the engine bay and connect the exhaust to the engine with longer pipe extensions.
70Cuda23.jpg
Save for a few touchups, the engine is done! I am using the "383 Four Barrel" pie plate decal until I can get a new printer since the old one has decided to give up the ghost on me. The correct pie plate says "Super Commando 383" on it.
70Cuda24.jpg
More to come...

I needed to extend the driveshaft to reach the tailshaft of the trans. First, I cut off the universal joint from the driveshaft.

70Cuda25.jpg

Then, using a 1/8 inch piece of parts sprue, I glued the universal joint, the parts sprue, and the driveshaft together.

70Cuda26.jpg

With the driveshaft extended and painted, I installed the engine into the chassis and added the radiator and hoses.

70Cuda27.jpg

More to come...