Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Teardrop Trailer/Camper

Started this on Tuesday when I took some time off work since I got hit with the flu bug. The trailer frame came from my neighbor that was originally a motorcycle hauler. The moment I saw it, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I added a square aluminum tubing axle and took off the ramps and toolbox. The body is all scratch built from sheet stock and will have real wood cabinetry, sink, vintage stove, ice box, mattress and bedding. No TV/VCR, modern cooler, water jug - this will be all vintage. The body will be painted Allclad and have functioning doors and galley access lid.

I took a few pictures and then my camera battery died. I'll post pictures just as soon as it charges. Sorry for the tease. :)

Started this on Tuesday when I took some time off work since I got hit with the flu bug. The trailer frame came from my neighbor that was originally a motorcycle hauler. The moment I saw it, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I added a square aluminum tubing axle and took off the ramps and toolbox. The body is all scratch built from sheet stock and will have real wood cabinetry, sink, vintage stove, ice box, mattress and bedding. No TV/VCR, modern cooler, water jug - this will be all vintage. The body will be painted Allclad and have functioning doors and galley access lid.

I took a few pictures and then my camera battery died. I'll post pictures just as soon as it charges. Sorry for the tease. :)

You big tease you……….looking forward to this Brad :)

Thanks Bruce, Ira, Danno and Carl. I really appreciate you guys following along.

A bit more done on this build. Was able to get a good portion of the galley cabinet done. Still need to add handles and pulls. The icebox door opens with hinges fabricated from printing plate and bend piano wire. I plan on having a few items inside including a block of ice. Still have an overhead shelf to do. I gotta get this painted before I go too far though.

For the wood, I used cigar wrapper sheet that was backed up with printing plate to give it some rigidity without adding much thickness.

Here's a mid-afternoon shot from yesterday.

Galley1-vi.jpg

Comments welcome and thanks for your interest.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Greg. Well...I went to shoot the body last night and I tested the Metalizer can before spraying and it worked perfectly and as I was just starting to paint the actual body, the nozzle erupted spilling paint and spraying globs of paint. Paint everywhere. Now I need to sand and reprep the body for a new coat. I threw the spray can away, almost from across the room with a little too much force, and I'll get a brand new one today.

Another set back, but I will prevail.

Thanks for your comments guys. They are truly appreciated. A bit more done today. Got handles on the cabinets, countertop covered with printing plate with the sink cut out made and the shell was repainted.

Here's a pic.

https://images45.fotki.com/v1649/photos/6/3808506/14346294/Galley4-vi.jpg

Thanks for your continued interest and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Danno. Good to see you the other day. I've been working on the interior off and on over the past few days. Used a printable fabric that I ran through my inkjet printer for the Indian blanket. Living in the southwest, i thought I would give it a southwestern feel. Pillows were a bit of a challenge and I'm finally happy with the way they turned out.

I also shortened the frame a bit in the rear so the wheels are closer to the rear of the trailer and not so close to center. That made a huge difference. Also got the faucet done by turning aluminum tubing on my Stylus but forgot to take a picture of that. Next time.

MattressPillows_zpsa18e2891.jpg

Comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

mycuda1-vi.jpg

Cool work. I had a 1:1 tear drop trailer way back in the early 1980s before they were fashionable. As you can see I towed it behind my '65 Barracuda. Mine was home built but the work was pretty well done. Everything, including the inner frame was stainless. The big issue with it was that they put the wheels so far back, that all the weight was on the trailer tongue and hitch. That put the poor Barracuda rear on the ground, so I had Hijackers air shocks on it, just to keep it level. It handled scary and I'm glad we never had to do any emergency maneuvers because I don't think it would have responded well. Because of this I only kept it one season.

The interior of mine was backwards from what you are building. The space in front of the side doors was a thin closet where you had to bend the hangers sideways on the rod. Our heads were against this. On the end where you have overhead cabinets, there was a small window on either side behind the doors. Over this was a deep shelf that was over our legs. Between the cab and kitchen, visible from inside at our feet was a thin square water tank.