Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Nomad (3rd Car Build)

~Mark~

Here is my finished 56 Nomad. It's mostly stock with the addition of BMF, some hoses, and throttle spring.

Mostly it went together without any problems.

20140126_135637_zps4d9e88ca.jpg

I didn't like the decal for the emblem, so I painted it.

20140126_135725_zps6ef94934.jpg

20140126_140056_zpsd8583be1.jpg

20140126_135809_zps4c5279fe.jpg

20140126_135854_zpscaffb4d2.jpg

I'll add the windshield washer reservoir as soon as I fight it away from the carpet monster.

Looks very good for a third car built.

On a constructive criticism side, I think you missed a mold line on the front fenders, just between the headlights and the hood.

You see a lot of that on shows from experienced modelers. They get carried away by the aftermarket stuff, and forget the basics.

Don't go after them, I don't. I'm building things box stock and still trying to master the basics like getting rid of all mold lines, sink marks, and ejector marks, and even tough, a miss a lot of them.

Looks very good for a third car built.

On a constructive criticism side, I think you missed a mold line on the front fenders, just between the headlights and the hood.

You see a lot of that on shows from experienced modelers. They get carried away by the aftermarket stuff, and forget the basics.

Don't go after them, I don't. I'm building things box stock and still trying to master the basics like getting rid of all mold lines, sink marks, and ejector marks, and even tough, a miss a lot of them.

Thanks.

I just looked at the large picture, and didn't even see the mold line on the inside of the fender and the light, that's a big one. Old eyes, and not knowing enough about the car.

Edited by ~Mark~

Thanks.

I just looked at the large picture, and didn't even see the mold line on the inside of the fender and the light, that's a big one. Old eyes, and not knowing enough about the car.

I have an idea for you Mark.

get one black marker, the permanent type used to write on CDs and DVDs, and mark all mold lines with it.

This way, all you have to do is to sand until you get rid of all black lines and you are done.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am very happy with the way she turned out. Once I get the ship done that I'm making for a friend's 91 year old grandpa I think I'll be back with the cars. Lots of fun.

I have an idea for you Mark.

get one black marker, the permanent type used to write on CDs and DVDs, and mark all mold lines with it.

This way, all you have to do is to sand until you get rid of all black lines and you are done.

I like this idea, and will use it for sure.

I think it looks FANTASTIC for a third build, love the colors, don't worry about the missed mold lines hey we all miss things from time to time, but now that you know your next build will be better and the next one will be better than the previous and so on, it's a learning adventure but most importantly it's supposed to be FUN!! Just a tip, Google is your best friend when it comes to researching autos your not quite familiar with. ;):)

I think it looks FANTASTIC for a third build, love the colors, don't worry about the missed mold lines hey we all miss things from time to time, but now that you know your next build will be better and the next one will be better than the previous and so on, it's a learning adventure but most importantly it's supposed to be FUN!! Just a tip, Google is your best friend when it comes to researching autos your not quite familiar with. ;):)

Google is my best friend.

This is what moved me from ships to cars. This is the USS Bataan that I built for my son. He is currently serving aboard her.

After 9 months of working for perfection in this scale I needed to decompress, and cars are about as far from this as I could get. This ship is as spot on as my abilities could get. She has LEDs lighting the island, hanger, and well decks. Home made decals for the hanger, and the flight deck is all masked and airbrushed. No decals at all. So as you can see, the cars were a nice way to keep building and still decompress.

Now I'm going to be starting the USS Libra AKA-12 for my friends 91 year old grandpa. So back to the tiny details that need to be spot on.

Bataan_zps58944975.jpg

If anyone's interested, here's a link to my build pages.

https://ussnorthcaroilna.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for putting up with me.

• 2 weeks later...