Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC Yukon 1/25th scale Resin model Interest?

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone was interested in a resin kit I made. I made a few for myself, but someone in my club wanted one as well so I figured I would ask around. The item is a GMC Yukon in 1/25th scale. 2006 to 2014. It will include a body, clear glass, upper and lower grille, headlight and taillight inserts (that need to be painted in chrome, chrome plated, or foiled), clear headlight and taillights, roof rack, running boards, wipers, and handles. Resin color will be a light grey or white. The grill has a blemish on it, so I will remold that. The photo of the clear parts will be posted on Tuesday

This will be professionally cast (not my in my garage) by the prototyping company I work for.

Cost will be $75 Sorry for the high price, but time is money and this takes time and expensive materials to make. I would need at least 10 interested buyers to make this happen. If it's a go, I won't collect payment until it is ready to ship.

Builder must supply the interior, chassis, and wheels. I'm not sure what will fit, but the Escalade parts may work. If I find a kit somewhere, I will try it.

IMG_9451-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_9452-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_9450-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_9449-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

If anyone has questions, please email me at robert burns jr101 at yahoo dot calm

Thank you - Rob

What about the interior from the welly 2008 tahoe? I bet that interior would fit! Or the Jada tahoe?

In 1:1 the Tahoe of that era would be much the same as the Yukon, but I read somewhere the Welly diecast is underscale, smaller than 1/24th. The Revell Escalade would be too old--that's the previous generation (GMT-800, the later one is the GMT-900 generation).

In 1:1 the Tahoe of that era would be much the same as the Yukon, but I read somewhere the Welly diecast is underscale, smaller than 1/24th. The Revell Escalade would be too old--that's the previous generation (GMT-800, the later one is the GMT-900 generation).

I tried the Jada Tahoe, and that's too tall. Maybe if i cut it down a bit, however it is really simplified.

So you built the master but don't know what interior parts to use? You may have a hard time selling these without that info. Especially if nothing from a kit will fit. $75 for a body shell seems awfully high.

I didn't say I built the master. I didn't say nothing from a kit will fit. Anyway, a good builder can make do with other interiors or simply slam it. I may make an interior someday but not now. I cast the body for myself, someone wanted one so I did it for him. If others want one, that's cool. If no one else wants one, that's cool too.

If someone is willing to trade me some interior work for resin, let me know.

Yes, $75 is high. I said before, it is expensive. But labor (prepping parts, staging the mold, mixing and pouring the rtv, demolding, mixing and pouring resin) and materials (resin, rtv silicone, equipment) are expensive. I've decided to not give away my items like I have done in the past. I still do it for fun and will not profit, but I won't loose money or work for $3 per hour. I would rather sell 2 or 3 at a higher price and break even than sell 20 at a low price and loose labor time and money.

I value my time and skill and I put that value into my parts. A body like this with no pinholes, bubbles, or even flash will save at least a few hours on build time. How much is 2 hours worth for a model builder? $15 per hour x2 = $30 maybe?

Anyway, the person who would want to buy this wants it because they like things that are different, or they own a real one and is willing to pay more. If they don't want to spend the money or can't afford it, they will pass and buy something else. No big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

As a fellow caster I know all about the amount of time that goes into mastering and casting models. And while the body looks fine if you are going to charge 75 dollars you should definitely include a chassis. By doing so you will almost certainly get more sales. Having moulded many chassis over the years my experience is they they use relatively little resin.