Model Cars Magazine Forum

reliable resins

is reliable resins still up and running?

Probably, but you should be very cautious when dealing with them (him, really). If he's the only game in town for whatever part you're in need of, make him swear on his mother's grave that he has it in stock & ready to ship before you remit payment. Lotsa people on this and other boards have been burned...

is reliable resins still up and running?

It'd be best to call or e-mail them, Louie. Take a look through this very section and you'll see some topics discussing Reliable Resin, many of which have similar thoughts and experiences as those stated above. :unsure:

• 5 months later...

Lol, dam, well mine had a lot of slag, or extra resin on them and it all came right off, wheels are kinda square now, I should have used a sand board, My fault, But I have them looking good now!,, lol

I don't get it, He has "Don" done me right all the time, everyone has a hard time from time too time, we don't know,,he could have been going thru something, just contact him and he'll make it right, anything that happen is in the PAST, I believe in my Heart of Harts he has turned this shop around,,,just saying....

Edited by booboo60

I prepaid Don $200 and sent him two 1:43 scale car bodies to cast for me in October of last year. After 8 months of stalling, I finally had enough, and asked for my cars and money back. I got the bodies back, but no money. Every Monday, I have to escalate to a higher level. Had I done the proper internet search before I attempted to do business with him, I never would have considered it. There are dozens of pages of complaints against him and his business. After another round of emails yesterday, he sent me several links to one of the web sites that had negative stuff about him, telling me that 99% of his negatives have been reversed. I checked with the BBB in Philadeliphia and surrounding communities near his hometown of Narbert PA. There are 7 active complaints with the BBB. Discounting the scam website that is now defunct, there are still dozens of postings mostly on hobby related forums or message boards about him and his poor to non existant business practices. To date, there have been no retractions, just more stories of him taking money and not delivering. He told several that he does not have time to type, but seems to be able to spend hours a day on the phone telling me how great he is, and that his new batch of resin is "on the way" and I am "next". I got that exact same story 4 times. Each time on other message forums that something negative about him is brought up, it seems to get locked very fast. I know as a new member and this being my first post, I am at risk of losing privlidge and getting this thread locked. However, I too own and operate a hobby related business. I run a decal company (commercially produced, not at home) and in the dozen plus years I have been in business, I have never had one complaint or one product returned. I produce decals for several major companies/firms besides my own product line. I would never treat a customer the way Don does, and I would never take someone's hard earned money and not give it back after 8 months of stallling. I am sure that Don will be all too happy to reply here, and tell you several stories like I was never in a rush. That is true, I wanted to make sure he took his time and did it right. And I did pre-pay him out of my own kindness, knowing what it takes to buy resin and rubber. Recently, some health issues forced me to close up for a while, after a stint in the hospital. After I got out and was on the way to recovery, I spoke to Don again, and got the "your next" story, with the new batch of resin on the way. When I asked for my money back, he did not take it well, and wanted to talk on the phone. Phone talking does not give me written records. Each time we communicated, his version of what I wanted changed, and each email since has included things that just were not said. At this point, I have started to involve the authorities. I dont want trouble here, but I dont want others to meet the same fate that I have. I offered to let Don keep $10 of the $200 I sent him, for postage. But he just does not want to send me my money back. As a business owner, risking much bad publicity, I just can not comprehend this. He could not deliver, I asked for a refund, what keeps him from sending me my money. Like all of you, I dont have unlimited funds, and I can put that money to good use. Those having been taken may contact me if you like, I will not let this go away. I am sorry if this violates the terms, but it has to be said, and if no one else will take responsibility for seeing it does not happen again, I will be more than glad to. Richard Krom from Tucson Arizona

Edited by RichIQ

Within minutes of my posting, Don called my house, with the usual threats on my voice mail. The pattern seems to be, if he is challanged, he threatens legal action, which he did of course. Do you want to do business with someone like this? Now he says he does not want to send me any money at all, because of all of my fabrication of stories I have told him. There was never any fabrication, and I am sure he and I will remember things differently. But the bottom line is, he could not deliver, and when pressed, just will not send a refund. Buyers Beware.

The guy is a crook with a garbage product , always has been, always will be ................ Do not get sucked in to his legal threats, call him on it and go after him any way you can. He needed to be shut down years ago ............ I feel for you Richard ....

Alan

I had read all the bad reviews and tried him anyway... emailed him and he had me call him instead of reading a much too long email about what I was looking for. Spoke to him on the phone - very straight forward to say the least - but not unpleasant. I got what I ordered in about a week - so got no complaints on product delivery.

There were one or two minor flaws in the casting, but Don mentioned these to me before I even paid for my parts - even offered a few quick suggestions on fixing them.

I can't speak for other people's problems or issues with the man or his company - but as for myself I had no problems and only felt it fair to give him his do on this one.

He does make some good stuff and I have dealt with him in the past. I've even had a beer with the guy! But, his business dealings leave quite a bit to be desired. He dealt with my late friend Skip Samples, who also did custom decal work for him, and thus treated us, at least Skip, with respect and urgency. For some time I would always sort of stick up for him when bad things about him and his business where posted. And why not, he had not done me wrong, and to be honest, still has not, but, I have not done business with him in a long time.

Two things really pushed me to stop dealing with him and to stop trying to stick up for him. First, I did not like the way he asked me about our friend Skip's decals and files when Skip fell ill and eventually passed away. There is more to that, but, it is not for public consumption at this time. Second, my friend Kyle Allen ordered some items from him and he kept stalling and promising him to get his stuff delivered. He did not take care of it. I contacted Don on behalf of my friend Kyle and Don assured me that he would take care of it and even throw in some extra stuff to make up for it. It never arrived. That was over two years ago.

So to you all I say this, Proceed at your own peril and Caveat Emptor!

I know I'm new here...

But, are we really talking about the same guy? As I had mentioned in my earlier post... I had read all the reviews and gave him a shot anyway - I needed a specific set of tires and his company was the only one holding what I needed. I told him what I was looking for and he even suggested the right size tires - unfortunately I want to go bigger.

Would like to see what I can find in rubber before going back and harass him again with another dozen stupid questions.

Anyway, before I get sidetracked - I just find it a little odd that someone who would take the time to spend 20 minutes on the phone with someone for a pitiful little $16 order would be the same guy getting all this bad press. I mean if your gonna hose someone - why not hose the little guy who won't fight over a lost $20 and keep the big dollar orders coming in?

But like I said before: since I'm new here I don't want to start off here by making any enemies... I just wanted to say my piece on what I thought and move on.

Edited by Kit-Builder

I knew a resin caster that made some great parts, and as long as you were considered a friend, He would make what ever you needed.He burned quite a few people, and trashed his reputation.Mainly it was his Ego that got the better of him.

I know I'm new here...

But, are we really talking about the same guy? As I had mentioned in my earlier post... I had read all the reviews and gave him a shot anyway - I needed a specific set of tires and his company was the only one holding what I needed. I told him what I was looking for and he even suggested the right size tires - unfortunately I want to go bigger.

Would like to see what I can find in rubber before going back and harass him again with another dozen stupid questions.

Anyway, before I get sidetracked - I just find it a little odd that someone who would take the time to spend 20 minutes on the phone with someone for a pitiful little $16 order would be the same guy getting all this bad press. I mean if your gonna hose someone - why not hose the little guy who won't fight over a lost $20 and keep the big dollar orders coming in?

But like I said before: since I'm new here I don't want to start off here by making any enemies... I just wanted to say my piece on what I thought and move on.

Edited by my80malibu

Great parts ??? Absolutely everything I rec'd from him was totally unusable garbage ............. You should see the 66 Comet body I rec'd and put it back up on e-bay with a $1000.00 price so EVERYONE could see what junk he was producing!!

STAY AWAY!!!!

Edited by Alan