Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 '69 Camaro Z/28 (New Foose Kit) BMF Done 6/2

ImpalaBoy

I'm kind of surprised I'm the first one to start a thread with the new Foose kit, but I won't be doing the Foose version anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter. This is just going to be a stock Z/28 (well, about as stock as a 302 Cross Ram can be, anyway). The long-term plan for the car is metallic blue (I'll be using Duplicolor Perfect Match Medium Quasar) with white Z/28 stripes which I'll have to mask and paint myself (wish me luck!). Interior is going to be black and white with houndstooth upholstry. Recommendations on ink-jet-printer-compatible decal paper would be appreciated.

I've been working on this kit for just over two weeks now, starting on the day it came in the mail, and the engine is just about finished. I'm looking forward to getting the ignition wires in there, but I can't do that until after the headers are installed, but they aren't painted yet. It took a while to get just the right Chevrolet engine red/orange color, but I think I nailed it. I used a bottle of Model Master Chevrolet engine red and added a fair amount of yellow to it until it became the ideal shade. As I've done on my last few builds, I cut the belt assembly apart and made the belt out of masking tape. I also spent a good deal of time filing the grooves into the belts, but once the belt is on there, you can't really tell. Oh well.

I have had a blast building this engine and I just love how big it is! I'm adding details I never would have attempted with a 1/24 kit. Hoses and fuel lines and such are just bits of spare wire from around the house, mainly telephone wire

post-11411-0-60968500-1390859314_thumb.j

Shifting linkage was kind of fun. The kit piece was pretty sloppy, so just cut it apart and made my own.

post-11411-0-36781700-1390859354_thumb.j

I spent all last night working on the air cleaner. I wrapped masking tape around the foam seal to give it texture. I drilled through the wing nuts on the air cleaner and added the posts to the carbs for added realism so I can proudly display it with the air cleaner off.

post-11411-0-21848400-1390859427_thumb.j

post-11411-0-28415300-1390859454_thumb.j

It took me forever, looking at tons of reference photos, to figure out where that hose that comes out of the right rocker cover goes, but I finally realized that it goes into the air cleaner, so I drilled the appropriate hole into the air cleaner base.

post-11411-0-61541200-1390859400_thumb.j

post-11411-0-32687100-1390859377_thumb.j

That's it for now, let me know what you think! I don't know when my next update will be, but that depends on if it gets warm enough in the garage to spray paint any time soon.

Edited by ImpalaBoy

looks good so far!..i also loved building and detailing the engine...almost a shame to put it in the actual car..

be sure to check if you can close the hood WITH the aircleaner sitting on top of the carbs after the engine sits in the car

i couldn't get it to close on mine so i left it of...could be my mistake ,or maybe Revell has taken care of it in this issue

masking the Z28 stripes is gonna be nervewrecking but it can be done..

i thought some guy on Ebay reproduces these decals along with Yenko stuff?

He isn't producing white decals at this time, I emailed him before about making a white Yenko set and he said he wasn't able to at this time. Plus I just checked his store and he doesn't have any white Camaro decals at all.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread though since I've also been waiting to see someone start on this kit.

looks good so far!..i also loved building and detailing the engine...almost a shame to put it in the actual car..

be sure to check if you can close the hood WITH the aircleaner sitting on top of the carbs after the engine sits in the car

i couldn't get it to close on mine so i left it of...could be my mistake ,or maybe Revell has taken care of it in this issue

masking the Z28 stripes is gonna be nervewrecking but it can be done..

i thought some guy on Ebay reproduces these decals along with Yenko stuff?

Thanks! Your Camaro is gorgeous! I have to agree that it's almost a shame to put the engine in the car, but I think I'll display it with the hood open most of the time anyway, so I won't worry about the air cleaner clearance either. What did you use for brake line up front? I got some .032" solder that I think should be in scale.

Edited by ImpalaBoy

Thanks, everyone! I asked Firebird a few weeks ago if he had plans to make white Z stripes, but he said no. I considered trying to find a set from one of the old releases, but I don't know if I would trust them since they're so old now. Since the stripes will be white, should I spray the white first, then mask off the stripes and spray the blue over it, or would that look funny since they would be below the level of the body color? Would I be better off just spraying the white over the blue and most likely needing two coats? I suppose after a bit of wet sanding and enough clear coat it all levels out anyway, right?

Thanks, everyone! I asked Firebird a few weeks ago if he had plans to make white Z stripes, but he said no. I considered trying to find a set from one of the old releases, but I don't know if I would trust them since they're so old now. Since the stripes will be white, should I spray the white first, then mask off the stripes and spray the blue over it, or would that look funny since they would be below the level of the body color? Would I be better off just spraying the white over the blue and most likely needing two coats? I suppose after a bit of wet sanding and enough clear coat it all levels out anyway, right?

What you could do is use transfer paper and find a picture of the stripes you want, then trace em on to the transfer paper, cut em out, put em on your car and paint away. That way the extra transfer paper masks off the body, and all you cut out is the negatives and use a small

Amount of white and it looks correct.

Edited by Mrdarkmonkey96

Looks like this is going to be a killer build. That engine looks great Anthony!

I usually try to paint the lighter color first, mask, and then paint the darker color. I did this with the "Big Scale Beauty" in my sig, and the Mustang I am working on now. For me, it did pretty much level out after sanding, but I do use alot of clear coat, to the tune of 5-7 coats. I also find it is easier to mask where the stripes will be, instead trying to mask around where the stripes should be. Hope this helps!

I masked the black stripes on the Silver one I built a few years ago. It was more difficult than I expected.

Looks like this is going to be a killer build. That engine looks great Anthony!

I usually try to paint the lighter color first, mask, and then paint the darker color. I did this with the "Big Scale Beauty" in my sig, and the Mustang I am working on now. For me, it did pretty much level out after sanding, but I do use alot of clear coat, to the tune of 5-7 coats. I also find it is easier to mask where the stripes will be, instead trying to mask around where the stripes should be. Hope this helps!

I masked the black stripes on the Silver one I built a few years ago. It was more difficult than I expected.

Glad you like it so far, and thanks for the tip! (My name is Andrew, not Anthony, by the way :P ) All of your Camaros are stunning! I can't believe you've done so many. One thing I noticed that I have to ask about is why did you nix the radiator brackets in all of them? Do they have fit issues that I should be aware of?

Glad you like it so far, and thanks for the tip! (My name is Andrew, not Anthony, by the way :P ) All of your Camaros are stunning! I can't believe you've done so many. One thing I noticed that I have to ask about is why did you nix the radiator brackets in all of them? Do they have fit issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks! And sorry about the slip-up on the name. :wacko:

As far as the radiator brackets, as far as I know, there are no fitment issues. But I mean....they are all the way on the last page. That means they are optional. :P:lol:

Ok, this is sooner than I thought it would be. I was originally going to spray paint the headers, but I figured that would probably be just about impossible since they're such complex shapes. It took me 3 tries with 3 different colors to get them to where I thought they were acceptable. I first tried semi-gloss black, and then a dark gunmetal, of which I've seen both on real cars, but I ended up going with silver, which seems to be a majority in 1:1. They're not perfect, but good enough for me. I'd like to point out, though, that I'm the only one I've seen so far who's bothered cleaning them up so that they look more like separate pieces of pipe.

I thought I'd have some fun with the ignition wires, so I used the yellow wire out of my trusty telephone wire. I had yellow, black, light blue, white, red, and green to choose from. It's also solid core wire, which is much easier to shape and keep in that shape than the wire that came with the kit.

I also had to make a new dipstick, since the first one came off while I was installing the headers and was immediately consumed by the carpet monster.

post-11411-0-56988800-1391065229_thumb.j

post-11411-0-34393500-1391065253_thumb.j

post-11411-0-60377000-1391065279_thumb.j

post-11411-0-37866200-1391065303_thumb.j

Oh, and I also cleaned up the back of the grill, which is something I don't think enough people do, even with kits this scale. I find that it's pretty noticeable when the top and bottom rows aren't hollowed out.

post-11411-0-91634300-1391065205_thumb.j

Ok, now I really don't know when the next update will be. I'd like it to at least be over 50 in the garage when I spray paint. For those who aren't from around central New York, which I think is probably most of you, it's been between 0 and 15 degrees Fahrenheit pretty consistently for the past couple weeks (well, except for the day that it was -13).