Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24th Ford F-350

Hot news from Nuremburg Toy Fair, Meng will be releasing a kit of what appears to be a 2008-2010* Ford F-350 in 1/24th scale.

*they don't indicate the model year.

I first heard rumors of this kit several years ago, I figured it was something they were working on for their 1/35th scale line, but as it turns out it will be their first 1/24th scale automotive kit. They're planning to have this out by 4th qtr 2014, but from the looks of it it's pretty far along and may be out sooner than that. No details on price yet.

f3503-vi.jpg

f3501-vi.jpg

f3502-vi.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

Well, well, well...a Chinese company known for it's superb 1:35 Armo(u)r kits winds up being the ones who step way outside their comfort-zone to bring us the first modern pickup since 1999. With an engine and everything no less! Starting with a Crew Cab F-350 would indicate that there's probably a Dually up their sleeves too eventually.

Now will people around here who have beem bemoaning the lack of modern truck kits be willing to pry open their wallets for a furrin' kit that's most likely going to have a U.S. MSRP North of $45-50?

I wouldn't say they're stepping outside their comfort zone, their first kit was the (unnamed for licensing reasons) Toyota Hilux pickup, albeit in 1/35th scale and with a big honkin' gun in the back.

MGKVS1.JPG

They've since added another, the Land Cruiser with an even bigger gun...

mgkvs4.jpg

These kits are beautiful, by the way. Meng is easily the best of the Chinese companies, IMHO. I have no doubt the F-350 will be spectacular.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Oh, I don't think they'll have to worry about whether it will sell or not. More likely they'll have to be concerned with how many (more than they planned) it will sell.

Oh I expect the sales to outpace the proverbial hotcakes, but there is already wailing and gnashing of teeth over the scale and "too expensive" expected price tag in certain corners of the interwebs mere hours after it's official unveiling. I think the reveal in Germany rather than in the U.S. is telling as well - as to where they expect their sales to be concentrated.

I wouldn't say they're stepping outside their comfort zone, their first kit was the (unnamed for licensing reasons) Toyota Hilux pickup, albeit in 1/35th scale and with a big honkin' gun in the back.

MGKVS1.JPG

They've since added another, the Land Cruiser with an even bigger gun...

mgkvs4.jpg

These kits are beautiful, by the way, Meng is easily the best of the Chinese companies, IMHO. I have no doubt the F-350 will be spectacular.

Yeah the Toy otas are nice kits, but they're also 1:35 and aimed at military modelers like their other armour pieces. Going out on a limb with a 1:24 American Pick-up that all the talking heads of the hobby in the States insist there's no market to be found to support the sales of...that's taking a risk.

Not my "cup-of-tea", but it will be intersting to see who whines about paying "U.S. MSRP North of $45-50" when a big rig kit with twice as many parts cost only a few dollars more than that.

I bet this will be out before the Moebius Ford kit.

Looks like it's 166 parts, that'd hang in there with most big rig kits.