Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24th Ford F-350

Well, upwards of $70 is a concern for somebody that would buy several. Wonder if Ford Motor Credit will finance case lots at a reasonable interest rate?

I wouldn't care if it were $700, I'd still buy several!! :blink:

It's about time a company, no matter country of origin or price, brings out a modern light duty truck! Now it might even be easier since Meng is giving this an oil burner to convert it into my old 90 7.3 for a replica of my 1:1 dually.

I wouldn't care if it were $700, I'd still buy several!! :blink:

With all due respect, Matt, I call bovine scatology!

If they actually did price it at $700 ... or even $100 ... you'd scream like a mashed cat that they were trying to gouge you! :lol:

But, I understand your point ~ it's gonna be a great kit and worth more than the average.

True. But, I would rather pay more for something I really want than pay a third or half for something that I'll look through the parts, put in the stash and probably never get around to building. When I buy this kit, it will go directly to the bench and get built. I'm willing to bet that that's what will happen with the majority of them.

Amen!

With all due respect, Matt, I call bovine scatology!

If they actually did price it at $700 ... or even $100 ... you'd scream like a mashed cat that they were trying to gouge you! :lol:

But, I understand your point ~ it's gonna be a great kit and worth more than the average.

Nope, no bovine scatology here, I would much rather pay a premium price for what appears to be a premium kit than $20-$25 for 70s and 80s reissues, some of which are subpar at best. I see this kit having much potential, maybe even one painted white weathered with some red Georgia clay like something a modern Uncle Jesse would be proud to drive.

And as a builder of mostly heavy trucks, large price tags are a norm for me.

The wheels in the box art appear to be the standard 17" painted aluminum ones that are standard on '10-up XLT trim trucks, while the ones on the test shot are 20" units from an '11-up King Ranch or Platinum truck. Difference being, the King Ranch has gold inserts and the Platinum's are black. Also, the box art depicts a single outlet exhaust, like a gas engine where the diesel has a twin outlet "diffuser", designed to lower tailpipe exhaust gas temperature during regen cycles. But, the pipe appears to have the diesel's vents in the wall. The box art shows the grilles in the fender vents as being red, indicating the Power Stroke Diesel option. The box art also depicts the truck with color matched mirror tops. This is inaccurate for what seems to be an XLT trim truck. If it had been a Chrome Package truck, these caps would be chrome, and it would also require a different grille. The painted tops are only found on King Ranch trucks, unless it has the Chrome Package.

That all being said, I don't care! I've been craving a late model (hopefully) diesel pickup for years, and the fact that I've got an '08 F-250 in the driveway makes this better. I'll need to chop it down to a short bed to build mine, and I'll have to do some fiddling to make it match my Lariat trim, but I'm willing to make sacrifices. Mine also has the uber-rare (for 6.4L PSD trucks) ZF-6 speed manual transmission so that might be my bugaboo. Even though Meng has decided to kit the Super Crew 8' box, I don't see it holding up too many conversions. I think it's easier to subtract a couple of doors or a scale 1'3" from the box than to add it in.

Bring it on.

Edited by Casey429

I think if you were going to offer a separate F-250, you'd have to either offer it in 2WD with the other set of '08 F-250 wheels.

Or go the fully-loaded route and offer it up as a King Ranch, which again has a different set of wheels.

You could get a them both with the Diesel so there's no need to change the engine, although you'd have to wonder at the possibility of offering the F-250 as a 2WD gas V-8 too. I guess it all depends on what all they have planned with this new Car Series. Only the HiLux seems to have been repeated in modified reissue sort of way out of all the kits they've done so far in their history.

All great ideas- more variations, for less cash outlay. I do hope we'll see some modified reissues of this subject in the future.

A Harley edition wouldn't be unwelcome, either, but then you'd need to pay H-D their licensing royalties along with Ford, and... well, let's not go there. B)

All great ideas- more variations, for less cash outlay. I do hope we'll see some modified reissues of this subject in the future.

A Harley edition wouldn't be unwelcome, either, but then you'd need to pay H-D their licensing royalties along with Ford, and... well, let's not go there. B)

Great idea Chuck, maybe someone can offer decals/photo etch to do just that!

I was thinking this morning, as I watched an F250 plowing snow, that Meng should do little add-on kits for this truck - utility box, plow setup, etc.

Kind of like Eduard does with aircraft parts. I think they'd sell!

Hey Matt,

I think Meng will leave that up to the creative aftermarket suppliers. It does open up a ton of possibilities!

David

Hey Matt,

I think Meng will leave that up to the creative aftermarket suppliers. It does open up a ton of possibilities!

David

Or, at least, a 3/4 ton of possibilities!

:lol:

Well, since the kit being offered is a 350, it is the one ton variant, so it will be a ton of possibilities!! :lol:

Now will people around here who have beem bemoaning the lack of modern truck kits be willing to pry open their wallets for a furrin' kit that's most likely going to have a U.S. MSRP North of $45-50?

I can't wait for the moaning... there will be a certain group who will be waiting for this kit to hit Michaels or Hobby Lobby so they can use their 40% off coupon.

they can gripe all they want, when was the last time you saw anything other than revell at Michaels? Any Meng at hobby lobby??

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about the people that are celebrating the news of this new kit, but will scream at its price when it arrives.

Tom's comment was about those same people not buying the kit until it shows up at Michael's or Hobby Lobby so they can use a 40% off coupon to buy it. Not that that's all bad, but it also speaks to willingness or not to pay the freight for such an ambitious new tooling.