Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24th Ford F-350

A friend of mine posted a link to HobbyEasy where this kit was listed with approximately 31 Euros price. That's twice cheaper than the regular U.S. price. Actually I might get one of these with that price...

What difference does it make, you're not going to buy one.

Well it makes the difference that I can't build it. B)

Most of the current crop of heavy-duty trucks are ove-styled to, at least in my opinion, be some of the most hideous things on the road now.

And I will buy one of these when finances permit me to.

Why?

Because the success of this kit is absolutely, unbelievably critical to getting more pickups- 1/2, 3/4, 1-ton and some of the smaller trucks tooled up.

This kit needs to be successful.

Charlie Larkin

I was hoping this would stay on topic, but it didn't. If you want to debate what a "real" truck is or discuss big rigs versus pickups, we have the Truck Stop section just for that sort of thing. Let's stick to discussing the Meng kit in this topic, please.

So with shipping it will be comparable to the Mega Hobby price? And having to wait for it to come from China?

I think it might be a wash to buy these in the US. I would guess that there will be some other US distributors selling these as well as Mega.

@Dave Van - I understand your point of view, but like I said - for us in europe it will not be considered very expensive. In Sweden a typical Revell/AMT kit cost $40-50. As a comparison the Moebius Hudson costs a bit more than $50.

I guess we´ll just have to wait and see if it´s a success or not.

Edited by Hayabusa

flush the drivel

Done.

There's always going to be debate over what things cost, and the value each person finds in each kit, so let's move forward and try to stay focused on discussing the kit itself. Waiting to discuss to kit until after it reaches consumers' hands is an option every one of us has available to us, so if you don't care to read critiques and comments on what people see, like, and/or are concerned about based on pre-production shots, please move on and find another topic which does interest you.

No more trolling, no more referring to others by juvenile versions of their names (i.e. "Chucky", "Timmy", etc.) as a cut down, and no more injecting your opinions over whether pickup are inferior to big rigs in Kit Reviews topics.

Glad to see this thread back open, I just want to say one thing Casey, and this is not going against what you are saying, but the cost's of kits ,is or can be a big deal, and is alway going to be a part the consideration when buying one.

Thats all I had to say, I think at this point, its a wait and see if the kit is released on the 17th of this month that Chinese hobby store has listed , or if its going to be April/May that Megahobby has listed

Edited by martinfan5

Kit cost is a real topic that needs to be talked about without name calling etc.

As our economy seems to continue to 'shrink' as the experts call it, disposable income 'shrinks' too.

Opinion on what your personal comfort level is, is valid.....and manufactures do take this into consideration.

Saying the $70 MSRP is too high is not a slam against those who think it's fine. It's their comfort level.

We have this debate on the model train forum all the time.

New, state of the art, die cast steam locomotives are hitting the $2000-2500 level. Too much for me so I opt out....Love to see other that do not flinch at the cost and share them at meets and shows. But me saying they are too costly for me is not a negative to the kit or potential buyers.....just a fact about me.

Keep this in mind when reading 'opinions'.

Kit cost is a real topic that needs to be talked about without name calling etc.

As our economy seems to continue to 'shrink' as the experts call it, disposable income 'shrinks' too.

Opinion on what your personal comfort level is, is valid.....and manufactures do take this into consideration.

Saying the $70 MSRP is too high is not a slam against those who think it's fine. It's their comfort level.

We have this debate on the model train forum all the time.

New, state of the art, die cast steam locomotives are hitting the $2000-2500 level. Too much for me so I opt out....Love to see other that do not flinch at the cost and share them at meets and shows. But me saying they are too costly for me is not a negative to the kit or potential buyers.....just a fact about me.

Keep this in mind when reading 'opinions'.

I never have a problem with people not wanting to buy whatever kit and at whatever price point. But you see plenty of people who will think nothing of dropping near triple digit prices (if not over the $100) mark on a Modelhaus piece, drop triple digits on an original "grail" kit, buy a case of something, or buy a dozen assorted kits at once, etc. Clearly it's not the price that's a problem, it's the subject matter.

There's a big difference between "I CANT Afford $70...", and "I wouldn't spend $70 on THAT!". One is a function of finances, the other is a function of personal tastes and preferences. The other contributing factor is "worth", and that again is a function of personal tastes and preferences. Some people don't think a reissued Revell kit is worth $25, because they were selling them for $10 originally.

To a builder who has been desperately pacing a hole in the floor for a new pick-up kit - let along a 4x4 diesel one - this kit might be worth even more than $70, just the same as to some people the Moebius Hudson might be worth more than the $28 they charge for it too.

Edited by niteowl7710

Wow... a 12 page thread on a kit nobody has even seen yet! :lol:

Once the kit actually gets into people's hands, this thread could be an all-time record breaker!

Only if it's a mediocre kit LOL

All kidding aside, do hope the good people of Stevens, get and are allowed to show an advance copy on the relevant boards...

To a builder who has been desperately pacing a hole in the floor for a new pick-up kit - let along a 4x4 diesel one - this kit might be worth even more than $70, just the same as to some people the Moebius Hudson might be worth more than the $28 they charge for it too.

Exactly James! I haven't bought a single Moebius kit yet. But, only because I have no interest in Hudsons, Chrysler 300s and Navistars. Price has nothing to do with it. It's the urge to have it. Their soon to be released '69 and '71 F-100s are two kits that I will have to have.

Sure, everyone would be happier to pay $28-$30 for this kit. But, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Personally, right now, I must have at the very least three of them. That will be my first order. Then, I can pick up more of them later on.

I guarantee as soon as a resin caster gets this Meng kit, they'll be casting the engine/transmission and selling them as fast as they can make them.

Thanx for opening this thread back up Casey! We appreciate it!

The exact point I was making......the $70 is high, or low, depending on each individuals taste and wants....and that's OK....but I do not think we need to shutdown a thread because we debate cost in a civil manner. And we've been doing that pretty much!

Is the price that Mega Hobby selling the kit for high?, you bet it is, even with this being a subject that I want to build, and want to support with the hope that we will see a dually version down the road, or other variants, I am still not wanting to pay the US marked up price, I will find places that offer it cheaper to purchase it from.

Now, on the subject is the kit as a product worth the US mark up price, well, we wont know tell we have it in our hands, but from what people have said have built or have an idea about Meng kits, its should be well worth the $70 US price for it.

I guess what I am saying is I am a cheapbutt and like to get the best deals on kits that I want :lol:

Another way of looking at kit expenditures is considering what money you use to pay for them. Money from a pay check that is budgeted for bills and the cost of living in general feels much different than using "found" money. A couple of years ago, I hauled a few old Ford C4 transmissions out of a yard for free. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled a bell housing off of one, cleaned it, bead blasted it, and put it on Craigslist for $75. It sold in one day, and was sent to Milwaukee. Seems everybody knows about the national craigslist search engines. So that's basically seventy-five bucks for free, doesn't affect the bills, bring on the Super Duty kit.

-MJS

Guys, the Meng Caterpillar D9R armored dozer kit has a "list" of 70-80.00 yet you can buy them all day long for less than 45.00. I'm sure this new Ford will be the same way if not less! The dozer kit has five times the amount of parts and photo etch that the Ford does.