Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom Daniel California Vette Restore Project

Jonathan

Sorry, no pictures at the moment, but I suspect y'all could help me a little bit w/ advise. :)

I have long had in my stash of projects a nearly complete Tom Daniel California Street Vette that is missing the hood and the associated louvers that are on the hood. I got this off of "that auction site" some time ago as part of a lot. I recently acquired a hood, complete with the louvers and I thought I was ready to go to town on finally building this car.

I've got the hood and body clean, sanded, preparing for primer. I've started working on the rest of the car, and this is where I've got a little problem. The interior is glued to the frame in a rather unglamorous fashion. I've tried to remove it - even going so far as to freeze the parts and hope to pry them apart that way. No dice. Just too much tube glue. The suspension is rather warped, and parts are glued on (securely!) pretty crooked. So, my question - what will provide a good chassis, engine, and interior to this car? I know the "Corvette SS" was basically the same tool, but the only one of those that I have came in the same lot, and is in the same condition. Besides, I'd like to restore it, too. So, is there a readily available Corvette kit that can donate the innards and underparts to the TD Cali Street Vette and the "Corvette SS"?

Thanks much!

Any Tom Daniel inspired 'Vette Street Machine would be cool, in my book!

Here's where I am so far. I've been sanding away the tube glue smears under the rear louvers and under the chin. I'm rebuilding the "t-bar" that will be under the roof louvers, although you won't really see that.

body1.jpg

When I acquired the TD Vette, it didn't have a hood. I recently won a small auction on eBay that included several hoods, but the only one I was aiming for was this one:
hood1.jpg

And, I do have the louvers for it.

My TD Vette Street machine is missing the nerf bars for both the front and back. The original owner had tube glued a rather gaudy (but I'd liked it back then!) chin spoiler to the body. So, I've been cleaning up the tube glue, and I decided to fill in the slots that are underneath the body where the nerf bars would be:
smoothednose1.jpg

smoothedtail1.jpg

As you may or may not be able to tell from the following couple of pictures, the interior and chassis are glued together with what I am convinced is several tubes of glue! :rolleyes:

chassis1.jpg

chassis2.jpg

And that's where I'm a little stuck. I think I'd just like to substitute the chassis and interior from another kit. Perhaps the engine, too. And, it'll need sidepipes! I thought the innards from the '79 pacecar might work, but not so much. At least now without much chopping and whacking.

So...anybody think that the Monogram Corvette Street Machine (the UGLY one) might be a good donor? I do have the '65 Penske, so I might could do something there, but I need an interior that would go along with the TD Corvette era. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tiny update. First coat of primer on the body. The chassis is back in the freezer, as I'm hoping I can pop the interior off of it and use that with another chassis. I did score one of those hideous Monogram Corvette "Street Machines" ("...with Street Sweeper decals!") off of that auction site. I'm hoping I can use parts from it to reconstruct the chassis, if necessary. I do have a '66 Penske Corvette that seems to have the same basic chassis (I think it's a near-repop of the '65 Corvette PlowBoy mentions above). I could go that route, although I hate to cannibalize it. But, I may do that after all.

Anywhooo - terrible cell phone pic follows:

primer_side.jpg

Edited by Jonathan