Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 Restoration

RandyB.

This is the second in a series of rebuilds or upgrades if you prefer that I will be doing over the winter months. This upgrade was a little more extensive than my 1971 Charger R/T rebuild. The model was upgraded with BMF over the silver painted trim. Engine was dismantled in repainted in the proper Pontiac Engine Blue. Also redlines were added to the tires and the model polished a bit to perk up the old finish. The grille was painted in the proper black trim rather than the previous silver. I gave the model a more realistic stance as well. Have a look and see what you think.

Before

Revell1968PontiacFirebirdF_zpsf0921ab9.j

After

Revell1968PontiacFirebird400a_zps278ca44

Engine painted in "Pontiac Engine Blue"

Revell1968PontiacFirebird400e_zps43ff544

Before

Revell1968PontiacFirebird_zps59116ec1.jp

After

Revell1968PontiacFirebird400b_zps3c8f2f4

Edited by RandyB.

Randy, you've made some great improvements, but if you wouldn't mind a suggestion, gently cut through the tape stripes where they pass over the door edges.

Thanks guys. Monty keep in mind this is an old build that I did several years ago. That's how I built them back then..not paying too much attention to these finer details. My builds today are much different. Most likely the decal is too old to accept decal setting solution now.

Randy you really inspire me to build better. great job.

Thanks everyone. I think my MPC 1971 Plymouth Road Runner will be next. It will be an easy upgrade since all it needs is some BMF.

David....thanks for the kind words. How is your '70 Cuda coming along...have not seen any progress for a while?

that's a nice refurb.

I think the way you had the grille painted the first time is more correct (based on my experience with my own 68 bird).

Some day I will build a replica of my 68 bird but I need to find a way to have the mural on the trunk turned into a decal.

68bird02.jpg

If you mean me Randy, I'm not working on a Cuda. I have a 70 Ford Galaxie that I'm working on.

If that's the one you are referring to, then the progress is slow.

Thanks for asking.

David G.

I was actually referring to drodg. He started a 'Cuda back a month or so ago and I haven't seen any action on it lately.