Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 Restoration

RandyB.

that's a nice refurb.

I think the way you had the grille painted the first time is more correct (based on my experience with my own 68 bird).

Some day I will build a replica of my 68 bird but I need to find a way to have the mural on the trunk turned into a decal.

68bird02.jpg

Mike...I had noticed that all of the reference pics I had seen showed the Firebird 400 with a black grille. But I'm not sure if that is correct since I know little on Firebirds.

The grilles on my bird were actually two colors with chrome accent lines plus the horizontal chrome bar on each side.

The vertical grate part which has the headlight holes was matte black with chrome edge accents, the rest of it was matte silver (or aluminum).

This doesn't mean yours is incorrect since I haven't researched all possible variants for Firebird trim levels... and a brief google image search is just more confusing.

here is a link that matches what my grilles looked like: http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/images/FeaturedCars/dSparta/68%20firebird%20completed%20021.jpg

I guess getting better reference material is the trick if it really matters.

As long as you're happy with your results that's all that matters. :)

Edited by blunc

Thanks Mike for the info. I was looking at Classic Industries website for replacement grilles for Firebirds. Looks as though the 1968 Firebird 400 had a dark grey grille. The 1967's had a silver grille. Not sure if I will correct this or leave it.

http://www.classicindustries.com/firebird/parts/exterior-trim/grill-components/

Very nice. How did you lower the stance? I have one in the stash and i definitely don't want it up on tippy toes!

Joe.

Thanks Joseph, Duane and Bill.

Joseph......lowering the stance is very easy. Take all of the wheels off, trim the metal pin off and re-glue the wheels back on. I use a makeshift jig and level the model out on a flat board and glue one wheel on at a time centering the wheel within the wheel well. Also this step will allow you to lower or raise the model depending where you glue the wheel. There is generally enough surface area on the chassis to glue the wheel in a more accurate postion. Sounds confusing but it's hard to try to explain this in writing.

Thanks Joseph, Duane and Bill.

Joseph......lowering the stance is very easy. Take all of the wheels off, trim the metal pin off and re-glue the wheels back on. I use a makeshift jig and level the model out on a flat board and glue one wheel on at a time centering the wheel within the wheel well. Also this step will allow you to lower or raise the model depending where you glue the wheel. There is generally enough surface area on the chassis to glue the wheel in a more accurate postion. Sounds confusing but it's hard to try to explain this in writing.

thanks Randy.