Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Custom Tudor (yes, another one)

Lovefordgalaxie

Just started today a 1957 Ford Custom Tudor.

After finishing a stock one in Raven Black and a Kustom in metallic green, I decided to build another one on the color I like most among the ones Ford offered for 1957: Coral Sand.

A friend of mine that owns a 1:1 car paint store was able to reproduce the 1957 DUCO paint from the original formula. It can't get more authentic than this.

The best part is that it was not expensive at all. Casio (my friend) made me a quart of paint for the equivalent of 25 Dollars, and I plan to use it on lot's of other 1950's Ford cars!!!

I'm not very big on WIP threads, as I always forget to post something, and this project will take some time, as I don't have much modeling time this month, but I'll try my best, OK?

What I did until now:

I tested the Duco paint on plastic from the Revell kit yesterday, and it didn't harm the plastic at all. I was expecting less shine, as Duco paints need to be polished to shine, but I was surprised by how well the paint performed on test.

This morning I moved to "full scale work" (ha ha ha) and painted the '57 Ford body with my cheapo Western single action airbrush, that's the one I get best results with when I airbrush real automotive paint. Had to use the maximum paint flow setting, set the air pressure to 40 PSI and paint almost hitting the body with the airbrush. Yes, it's that different to paint with 1950's Duco paint!!!

Anyway, I loved the result. I'll have to polish it a bit to take the orange peel out, but I love the color.

12250907553_d55188d7c3_c.jpg

1957 Ford Custom Tudor by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

12250732985_c78c669ddb_c.jpg

Thanks guys :lol:

While the body is drying to get polished I glued the engine halves together.

The next step now is to sand the glue joint on the bell housing and on it's stamped lower pan. The transmission is supposed to have a casting joint on the botton, and the glue joint is right were it is.

After it's done, I'll sand the mold lines and ejector pin markings from all parts. I think it will take me some time.

Will post the next update as soon as I have something else painted!!

Interesting note about the casting joint....oops, I sanded mine. Oh well. Next time.

That's actually a nice color on that- I think it was a T-Bird color mainly, but I know Ford would do special-order paint for a small extra charge, so a standard Ford or two built in that color is quite possible.

I wish I could still get Duco here. PPG is nice paint, but I remember using a tiny amount of Duco once, and it was nice.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys!!

Interesting note about the casting joint....oops, I sanded mine. Oh well. Next time.

That's actually a nice color on that- I think it was a T-Bird color mainly, but I know Ford would do special-order paint for a small extra charge, so a standard Ford or two built in that color is quite possible.

I wish I could still get Duco here. PPG is nice paint, but I remember using a tiny amount of Duco once, and it was nice.

Charlie Larkin

That's what I love about Ford cars. You could get almost everything. The only exception was the interior that on Customs was only available in gray and that was it.

The paint is not Duco Brand, it was reproduced from the old Duco formula.

A company called Lazurill that by it's hand is owned by Sherwin Williams still makes the base reducer or vehicle and pigments Duco did in the 1950's. This paint is not enamel nor simple lacquer, it's a nitrocellulose based lacquer and it's known just as "duco" like a kind of paint. it's used to paint engines, frames, construction equipment, and all sorts of things that need a fast drying, and resistant paint. Nobody uses it to paint cars anymore since the '70s as it has to be polished or waxed often to keep the shine.

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

OK, little update:

Took the body off of the painting stand, and polished it just a bit.

painting the body on vertical position works like a charm, and there were no dust spots on the paint to sand off.

12271719763_22be03bc1a_c.jpg
12272024164_1ccc9d7851_c.jpg
12271587535_6b3fdfd6f1_c.jpg
12272035674_1a0b8bff30_c.jpg
Was about to start painting the frame and all semi gloss black parts today, but will have to make a run for some TS-29, looks like I'm out. Will paint the engine instead...

Model looks good. Interesting paint stand and bottle collection!

True! I'm not sure what impressed me more, the incredible paint you laid down so nicely, or your ingenious use of popsicle sticks. In any event, I look forward to seeing the progress and final result. I've enjoyed each of your builds.

Wow! That sure looks good! But to me the building speed is something that almost made my coffee to fly all over the room. :lol: About 30 hours ago you posted the first post and it says that you painted the body that morning. And a couple of hours ago it's already polished....Wow! I'm surprised how fast that Automotive Paint dried.

In that time I couldn't even polish a body (Even if the paint was already dry). :lol:

Great work!