Model Cars Magazine Forum

removing mold release?

Its hard to answer your question as I do not know what kind of material your body is. If it is styrene from a kit just soak it overnight in warm soapy water. I use dawn dish soap as do most. If it is resin most resin making companies recommend Wesley's bleach white as it is a stronger chemical then a kit mold release. If you can't find Weasleys then Purple power or A1 Totally awesome is a degreaser that works great. Also the last two work great for removing acrylic and enamel paint and chrome. I personally use A1c as it is found at the dollar store and guess what? it is a buck. Cheap way to do it. I hope this helps and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The active ingredient in Bleche White is trisodium phosphate, which is a water-soluble phosphate detergent.. "TSP" is readily available in the cleaning supply section of any supermarket--look for "Spic N Span"--same stuff, same result, and not a particularly dangerous "chemical" either.

Art

• 1 month later...

What Art and Joey said! Bug and tar remover, degreaser, paint prep products. Don't sweat getting a particular brand or product. They are all degreasers. Also wet sand the entire surface of your resin body with 400 or 600 wet and dry. Paint prep is a lost art sometimes. I have painted many hundreds of resin bodies. If you are using spray cans you must be meticulous in your prep. If you are airbrushing you don't have to sweat it. The spray cans have a lot of chemicals like toluene to keep it more sprayable while sitting in the can. They will fish-eye at the slightest provocation! I have sprayed dry Teflon mold release on a casting and 30 seconds later airbrushed over it and it did not fisheye!!! Spray can paint will fisheye all over the place.

And AGAIN... There is absolutely NO reason to soak these parts in ANYTHING overnight!!! All that is needed is a good washing and scrubbing with TSP and hot water. I don't like to use the "cleaners" because there are other additives that are not needed to clean a model car body for painting...

Use a ScotchBrite pad to scrub the model while cleaning. And keep it oil free while painting. Once there is a coat of primer I use automotive wax and grease removers to clean prior to spraying paint.

Mark

Edited by astroracer