Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox an Martin Cuda 1970, "another"

booboo60

Just starting the 70 Jo Han or 71 Sox and Martin Pro Stocker, the one with the taller Box scoop, I hear they are re-releasing this kit a round2 models ,but I do love the older Jo HAN KIT, Will post a few pics along the way. This cars Paint Job is a pain, its getting the stripes even centered, an the small white ones between the blue, AGH,,

post-4363-0-52803800-1391441618_thumb.jp

Update, got the body painted. Stripes are a pain, also motor is ready for plug wires, dual distributor caps, and need a little more research. Can't find the Ronnie Sox decals for front tires, lol, seen one looked really neat, thanks for looking,

post-4363-0-23878300-1391538746_thumb.jp

post-4363-0-59186700-1391538786_thumb.jp

Ol schol, i checked and dbl checked. Some.well 1 car I seen ran the royal blue color. But most all the.cuds's I checked ran the Chrysler red orange. I even seen a black one. So I think it is fine, most built model cars on the site are the red/ orange. Maybe its a personal preference. I didn't find any blue. Fyi. Have a super night and happy building,

Nice job Alan

Stripes put fear into me. Getting them straight always seems to be the main issue.

I have found that hitting it with clear before the colour stripes are laid down, helps eliminate creep under the tape.

Got any chassis pics yet?

I'm curious about JoHan kits. I haven't ever found one cheap enough on eBay. I'll be watching this thread

Cheers

Oldscool is right, Most of the Sox & Martin Mopar engines was blue as their mechanic Jake King who was a former Ford racer himself painted the engines he built Ford engine blue as a tribute to his blue oval roots and to easily identify his work.
And if you google Sox & Martin and Jake King you'll find lots of pics of blue Hemi's.

As for re-issue this kit, Testors had the tooling for the Jo-Han Sox & Martin 71 'Cuda last when they did the HSO "metal wheel series" version of it together with the 69 (66) Pro Street Rambler S/C, the 70 Olds Cutlass, and the 71 Mercury Comet maybe 10 or so years ago...all old Jo-Han kits...and they have issued these kits at least once before that.
Testors were planning to do a re-issue some years ago but couldn't for some reason and the then announced re-issue was canceled, so the tooling for these kits might be lost or damaged beyond repair and IMHO Testors are to blame for that as they were the last to use it.
I don't know who does the injection molding for Testors as I don't think they have the facilities and machinery for that themselves, so the tooling for these kits might be where they did the kits last.

Revell are planning to do a Sox & Martin 'Cuda based on their new 70 Hemi 'Cuda this year...that's all I know.

Edited by Force

Holy cow. I'm.not repainting my.enuine, All I know is the old Johan kit says paint orange, no one mentionef Jake king, "i beleive ya force" but I'm telling ya. Google sox n martin, look under images. And all the ones ic R orange red, heck ill post some pics friend, as soon as I get home. Lol. Happy building,

At some point they switched to the orange but I could not find if it was after 71. I tired to find that info for a build I did and found both blue and orange photos of the 71. The orange were of a restored car I think.

The Duster photos from that time I have show Ronnie and Jake standing next to a Duster and the engine appears orange.

I gave up searching and went with the Ford Blue lol.

Now the 68 I am doing now I have clear vintage photos of it blue.

Of course you can paint the engine whatever color you like Alan, it's your model and you do as you want with it. ;)

This kit is one of my favourites too and I built one several years ago (before I got a computer and internet) and painted the engine Hemi Orange, I didn't know better at the time and didn't have any good references but as all Hemis was either Race Hemi Orange or Street Hemi Orange from the factory I painted it that color.
But I'm going to do a more correct model sometime, I have more of these kits and since I got a computer and started with internet I have done some research on the Sox & Martin subject and found out much more about the car and the team than I knew then,
You have to be sure on what car you're looking at, they had lots of cars from the years they were active and the team raced several cars each year, and the Sox & Martin Supercar Clinic as the team shop was called also built car for others.

I'm not saying all Sox & Martin cars had blue engines but the tale about their main mechanic Jake King tells that he painted most of the engines he built for the Sox & Martin team Ford Engine Blue and I have found pictures that backs that up.

Here is a link to pictures of the very same car you're building when it was sold at the Mecum auction some time ago and you can see for yourself. ;)

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0111-103897

Edited by Force

Do you know why Jake King painted the engines blue and that the S&M team cars were painted with Ford paint up until 1968 ? Had nothing to do with Jake King's "Ford roots". He was a Chevy guy long before S&M's rather short association with Ford.

The answer is simply because they had a lot of free Ford paint left over from their previous Ford sponsorship. They just saved money where they could! Chrysler brass strongly suggested that they switch to corporate colors in 1968. Jake still stuck with the blue engine paint until ( I guess) they ran out. I believe that Chrysler gave them the paint at no charge. :)

WF

I don't say you are wrong by any means Water, I know you know your Mopars. ;)

But I found this text at the Mopar Hall Of Fame:

Jake King was the power-maker behind the Sox & Martin race team. King really began his career in drag racing not as an engine builder, but as a driver. Jake drove Super Stock Fords for Atwood Ford before he was recruited away from the steering wheel by Buddy Martin. King’s real passion and his supreme talent was in building engines that were light years ahead of what just about everyone else in the sport was capable of engineering - he was a true mechanical artist and the 426 Hemi became Jake King’s canvas. All of Jake’s motors were painted Ford Blue as an homage to his early days as a Ford pilot and to easily identify his work. For the better part of ten years, Jake built the engines that won the championships, and countless Sox & Martin customer engines as well. Without Jake King, the golden age of Super Stock and Pro Stock would’ve been entirely different.

So Jake King himself was a Ford racer before joining the Sox & Martin team, one car he drove was a 1964 Ford Thunderbolt in Super Stock for Atwater Ford.

Jake King joined Sox & Martin late 1964 and the team would run Mercurys in 1965, and he stayed with the team until 1976 regarding to this article.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/mopp_0906_1971_plymouth_440_powered_super_bird/.

But it's not that important so it might be better if we got back on topic.

Edited by Force

Hi Alan, thanks for posting about this model. I recently purchased various Mopar donor parts for my upcoming builds. One of the Hemi's has a huge old style tunnel ram intake. Now I know what kit it's from, at least I think it's the same as your motor pic.

Could you please tell me if there are two possible cylinder head options in your kit? In the bag of engine parts I received, I can also use really big Hemi heads, and more modern valve covers, not the factory ones. I don't have any directions for the build.

Nice looking model for sure.

Michael

I have two different Jo-Han versions and two different Testors versions of the original Sox & Martin 'Cuda kits and all has only one set of cylinder heads, dual plug Hemi heads with chromed stamped sheet metal valve covers...so the other cylinder head option you have must be from another kit.

Edited by Force

Hi Thumbs. I have the orig Johan kit from the 71/72 season. And it only came with 1 set of heads and Val covers, chrome. Also Thumb I noticed this kit does not have an oil filter either. Odd. I going to ad one cus I really like the decal on them. Looks kool. Lol. Kit number is GC 1800,,hope this helps boss, have a super weekend

@Hakan & Alan,

Thanks guys. I was hoping to have found the kit it came from. The bare block shows the holes for the cylinders ,and the heads show the 4 valves as well as the rocker assembly on the top !! The later style valve covers are flatter, and are not chrome. The parts are molded in light gray. I'll keep looking around. The intakes, single 4, Cross Ram and the high tunnel ram are very well detailed, carbs look decent, too.

Thanks,

Michael

it sounds like a 67 Revell Kit, The GTX maybe,,, That is a cool motor with the Open Heads and all the detail The cross ram set carbs is from earlier 67-68-69 Cuda Super Stocks, the 70 was at first like this ,then came the high rise tunnel ram, with the high Box type scoop, , is the other motor the tunnel ram, here let me post a cpl pics, and see if that helps,,