Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox an Martin Cuda 1970, "another"

booboo60

Michael: These parts came in several kits from several manufacturers so photos of the parts you're wondering about might be the only way to be able to tell where the parts came from without speculating wildly.

Because they could be from a Jo-Han kit, AMT kit, Revell kit or allmost any other manufacturer who has done a scale 426 Hemi.

Be sure to ask your question under this category "Model Building Questions and Answers" so this thread doesn't go off topic more than it has allready. ;)

Edited by Force

Of course.

Sorry Alan, the last thing I want to do was to hijack your build topic.

I do think somewhere along the line, like after I've finished a couple of the Lindberg Dodges I have, is to have a go at the Sox & Martin Cuda you're working on.

I'll follow this topic as it progresses.

Greetings,

Michael

I don't say you are wrong by any means Water, I know you know your Mopars. ;)

But I found this text at the Mopar Hall Of Fame:

Jake King was the power-maker behind the Sox & Martin race team. King really began his career in drag racing not as an engine builder, but as a driver. Jake drove Super Stock Fords for Atwood Ford before he was recruited away from the steering wheel by Buddy Martin. King’s real passion and his supreme talent was in building engines that were light years ahead of what just about everyone else in the sport was capable of engineering - he was a true mechanical artist and the 426 Hemi became Jake King’s canvas. All of Jake’s motors were painted Ford Blue as an homage to his early days as a Ford pilot and to easily identify his work. For the better part of ten years, Jake built the engines that won the championships, and countless Sox & Martin customer engines as well. Without Jake King, the golden age of Super Stock and Pro Stock would’ve been entirely different.

So Jake King himself was a Ford racer before joining the Sox & Martin team, one car he drove was a 1964 Ford Thunderbolt in Super Stock for Atwater Ford.

Jake King joined Sox & Martin late 1964 and the team would run Mercurys in 1965, and he stayed with the team until 1976 regarding to this article.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/mopp_0906_1971_plymouth_440_powered_super_bird/.

But it's not that important so it might be better if we got back on topic.

I saw that paragraph on the Mopar Hall Of Fame site. Don't know much about Jake's Ford history but somewhere I have a pic of him wheeling a 409 Chevy!

I did get the story about the paint from a conversation I had years ago with Herb McCandless. So........ :rolleyes:

WF

You might want to try these if you are looking for accuracy:

Paint numbers from MCW:
Sox & Martin

'64-'67 - 6452 white, 6436 Guardsman Blue Metallic , 6238 Rangoon red (The blue and red are Ford paints)

'68+up: 6452 white, 6853 Electric Blue Poly Metallic, 6861 Bright Red (The blue and red are Mopar colors)

WF

Only when I'm not being a jackass! :)

Thanks Walt, I've felt often the same! You are not alone. Now I feel a lot better.

May I ask please for more info about MCW (a Shop?) and what brand of paints are mentioned here? I know white is not white is not white either, but I like the white to be correct.

Anyone?

Alan, this is an unofficial hijack, this time. (Greetings to Fla.).

Michael

Cheers Mike G, I Would go with Just good Ol Bright white, or Artic White, 1. Tamyia 2. Model Master, 3. Testor/ Model Master One Coat Lacquers "wet white" 2. Blue Lacquer, or GTS Blue pearl by Model masters, 3.Red, Model master "Flame red Lacquer! works for me Mike,

Michael, MCW (Model Car World) is an internet based model paint supplier and great resin manufacturer. http://www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com/

Take some time to check out their web site. Very cool stuff there.

They recommend their part # 6452 for the Sox & Martin white. I've used it but I prefer a brighter white.

Don't want to hijack this thread by posting these pics but they may give you an idea what the MCW paints look like on a completed model.

The '66 car with Ford paint codes:

DSC01053-vi.jpg

The '71 car:

DSC01315-vi.jpg

DSC01323-vi.jpg

Can't really tell the difference between the two in the photos right?

Pictures on the internet rarely look like the model! So, should you use any old paint? IMO, probably not because in person, with ambient light, they just look right.

WF

Edited by 6bblbird

Well the point that I tried to make (I think) was that you can substitute paints for the "correct" paints and still do a credible job. For those that can buy the MCW stuff, that is always an option. Yep, the cost often affects my decision as to whether or not to buy. Luckily for us in the U.S. we have many choices.

WF

Edited by 6bblbird

Nice cars Walter.

I just eyeballed and winged the colors when I built my Sox & Martin 71 'Cuda years ago, I didn't have much to go by when I built it tho' other than a zeroxed black and white Hot Rod article of their 70 'Cuda and the Jo-Han boxart...so it's not correct but looks decent enough.

DSC05791small.jpg

Edited by Force

Hi Force, the Model looks very good. I like the colors just fine. But you may have to buy us a round, because of a possible hijack, and the fact that the interior is too dark. Mopars are clean cars, Chebbies are black inside. :rolleyes:

Alright Alan, get your stuff together and get back to building. No more excuses now, because of all these pics you have your work cut out for you.

Hey, if you need a new Hemi, I have a couple! Just don't think about asking where they're from.

Michael

Yup. Agree. Heck of a SnM collection Walt, are you going to do the road runner next? Also are there any other cars you need that SnM had? Oh, the 66/67 Cuda? Great job

Thanks!

I have a Johan '69 roadrunner in white styrene but.......I think I'm going to do a replica of my 1:1 bird AtLongIslandDragway-vi.jpg before I do a S&M car. I might use one of those Funky AMT bodies for a S&M road runner. I did build the '67 GTX but I gave it away as a Christmas present.

WF

Edited by 6bblbird