Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got a MOPAR question - looking for opinion on my own insanity...

VRM

Dug out a '67 GTX kit the other day and did some body prep work on it and had an idea.

I'm planning on making it GG1 dark green metallic, but did some mandatory furniture shopping and saw some accessories in the store that were a similar shade of green with a bright copper, soooo.....

Dark green metallic '67 GTX, steelies, redlines, and copper (like a brand new penny) interior and copper sport stripes.

Horribly cool, or just plain horrible?

This would have been a waiver car - no way MOPAR would ever let something like that out without a fight.

Just curious...

Steve D.

Steve, Plymouth offered either a black or white interiors with the dark green. But with that said if you were willing to pay they would build it in most cases the way you wanted it. They offered the copper interior on silver, black, dark and medium copper and white. I think yours will look nice.

Few years back...seen in one of the MOPAR mags, a 1971 Dodge Demon...equipped from the factory with blue exterior, black body stripes....and.....BLACK AND ORANGE HOUNDSTOOTH interior!!!! Cannot recall if it was a survivour or complete resto....and one line from the story that has stuck with me...."Chrysler Corporation would not let anything stand in the way of a customer ordered vehicle....including bad taste!" So....anything is possible, I have never seen this combination before...if you have a spare interior...shoot it in copper and test it with the painted body. Either way....it is only a model and have fun with it!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Few years back...seen in one of the MOPAR mags, a 1971 Dodge Demon...equipped from the factory with blue exterior, black body stripes....and.....BLACK AND ORANGE HOUNDSTOOTH interior!!!! Cannot recall if it was a survivour or complete resto....and one line from the story that has stuck with me...."Chrysler Corporation would not let anything stand in the way of a customer ordered vehicle....including bad taste!" So....anything is possible, I have never seen this combination before...if you have a spare interior...shoot it in copper and test it with the painted body. Either way....it is only a model and have fun with it!

The car in question is a Mr. Norms 1971 Demon GSS 340 Six Pack ( or , according to the 'generic' air cleaner bestowed-upon the trio of Holley 2300's , "Tri-Power" ) . It's an alleged factory goof ; EB7 Blue with Red / Orange plaid base-model bench seat interior . I believe that it also had the standard 3-speed manual (floor shift) , rubber mats , and the Super Performance Axle Package (3.91 gear with Sure-Grip , and H.D. Cooling) .

Its interior was original , but the plaid inset was faded (Sun-Bleached , as we call it here in the Southwest U.S.) on one side !

That Demon GSS is a head scratcher , for sure . All of Norms cars were built-to-specific-order (i.e. , customer specified options and whatnot , and the Norms crew would modify the engine , etc.) , so who knows ? I always thought that it looked good , personally ! I'd have ordered one similar to that : dark blue metallic with the orange / red plaid base interior (but with either a 4-speed or a column-shift TorqueFlite) .

Chrysler would build a car to customer's specs , regardless of how potentially "gross" the combo was . There were exceptions , however , and those were limited mostly to engine / transmission choices :

- Hemi or 440 with a 3-speed manual

- Dana with any engine smaller than the 440 HP

- A/C with multi-carb induction ; gearing numerically-higher than 3.23 ; 440-4 with 4-speed , and ; any vehicle with the Dana 60 , regardless of transmission .