Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ultimate Rat Rod engine.

Yup, first piston engine to breech the 2000hp mark!

I don't know what the first piston engine to give over 2000hp was but the Rolls Royce 'R' type gave almost 2800hp in 1929, and the first Napier Sabre didn't exceed 2000hp until March 1938. Admittedly the 'R' type was a racing engine and the Sabre was intended for longer term use.

From Wikipedia:

The first Sabre engines were ready for testing in January 1938, although they were limited to 1,350 hp (1,000 kW). By March, they were already passing tests at 2,050 hp (1,500 kW), and by June 1940, when the Sabre passed the Air Ministry's 100-hour test, the first production versions were delivering 2,200 hp (1,640 kW) from their 2,238 cubic inch (37 litre) displacements

The Rolls-Royce R was a British aero engine designed and built specifically for air racing purposes by Rolls-Royce Limited. Nineteen R engines were assembled in a limited production run between 1929 and 1931. Developed from the Rolls-Royce Buzzard, it was a 37-litre (2,240 cu in) capacity, supercharged V-12 capable of producing just under 2,800 horsepower (2,090 kW), and weighed 1,640 pounds (770 kg).

Seriously Donald? You felt this was THAT important to post when the discussion was about a model car?

So I left out the word "production", but I got my info from the same site as you did.
Okay the correct phrase would be "The first production aero engine in a fighter/tank buster to breech the 2000hp mark"!

Happy now?

(BTW, you are now on my ignore list, congratulations!)

An old COE like a resin White 3000 or '35-'39 International would be awesome. My idea would be make it FWD; turn the engine around and have it go to a heavy duty axle turned upside down. Cover the engine with a sleeper. Now the rear end can be super low. Make that a slide-off flatbed and have it carry a belly tank land speed racer. That would be one wild race car hauler.

Also...this thread. Wow. Maybe someone could make a diorama of a train hauling some of these engines...about to wreck.

Consider the source..............................

We're talking a guy who got his panties in a wad over a rambling fun topic, complained, then disappeared for a year.

G

Edited by Agent G

Also...this thread. Wow. Maybe someone could make a diorama of a train hauling some of these engines...about to wreck.

You know, that notion did just cross my mind. Maybe we should out the term "rat rod" on the censored list. -_-