Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Mack F Daycab (AITM) with Flatbed Trailer - Plus Tutorial: Glazing Resin Cabs without Glue

Hi,

The F-series was a big sales success in America. Besides this the F-models were the only American trucks that ever reached Europe in more than imperceptible numbers. Nevertheless there was never any styrene kit.
There were only two resin cabs, namely an old one by AIM/AITM and a newer one by KFS. Regarding quality the pricey KFS cab is light-years ahead but it replicates a (in my oppinion less attractive) late model sleeper cab and besides this it is OOP for quite a while.

Most problems of the AITM Mack F-cab are identical with those of my AITM 1970 GMC 9500 shown earlier.

• The worst problem that spoils almost any finished AITM F-series cab shown online is the grille. It is cast as an integral part of the cab. The „gaps“ between the grille bars are filled with resin, and the grille bars are very flat. It is impossible to make this grille look realistic. This is why you find a lot of pictures taken from an angle where the grille is more or less concealed. For an acceptable model it was indispensable to build a realistic new grille.
  • As said in the GMC contribution a striking blemish of many finished AITM cabs is the use of a bed of white glue for fixing the cab windows as AITM recommends. Firstly it is almost impossible to cut out the "glass" so accurately that it fits without any gap and without any kink, secondly the required large amount of white glue dries as a visible white ring around the windows. Since the F-cab has very large and curved windscreens this becomes even more obvious. Again I used my technique of fixing the „glass“ without any glue. The pictures show that there is neither any gap between "glass" and window frame nor any kink in the "glass".
  • Casting quality was partially very poor. F. e. there were varying edges between raised and recessed areas of the rear panel, so I had to cut out and rebuild the recessed areas.
  • The resin thickness was extreme and had to be reduced drastically to make the cab look realistic. Afterwards the supplied (very simple) interior was much too small, so I had to build a complete new interior.
  • All supplied accessory parts were unusuable. I built them new or took them from my spares box.

Nevertheless the F-cab (as the GMC 9500) is a time-consuming but very rewarding project.

comp_Mack_F001200-vi.jpg
comp_Mack_F002200-vi.jpg
comp_Mack_F003200-vi.jpg
comp_Mack_F004200-vi.jpg
comp_Mack_F005200-vi.jpg
comp_Mack_F006200-vi.jpg
comp_Mack_F007200-vi.jpg

A similar topic of mine:

1970 GMC 9500 Short Hood (AITM) with Tube Trailer (Scratch Built)
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74735

Edited by Plastheniker
Fotki links replace PB

Jurgen,

If you find the offerings from AITM so unsatisfactory then why do you continue to build them? Your criticism and critiquing of this F Model Mack mirrors your findings of the GMC 9500, your quick to point out the flaws and equally as quick to point out your remedies for correcting them. I find your work to be of exceptional quality but your criticism is unjust and uncalled for. Perhaps you should leave the coal in Newcastle.

Why is his criticism "unjust" and uncalled for? Assuming he's being honest (and I have no reason to think he's not), I think that his pointing out the problems with the model is perfectly "called for." He built the model, he told us about the problems inherent in the model. How is that in any way "unjust?"

BTW, that is a beautiful model, Jürgen. Your skill as a modeler is impressive. The only thing I would change is that I'd add a wash to the cargo crates to give them some dimensional "depth" and visual interest. As is, they look sort of "flat" and toylike. But the truck itself–beautiful!

Why is his criticism "unjust" and uncalled for? Assuming he's being honest (and I have no reason to think he's not), I think that his pointing out the problems with the model is perfectly "called for." He built the model, he told us about the problems inherent in the model. How is that in any way "unjust?"

BTW, that is a beautiful model, Jürgen. Your skill as a modeler is impressive. The only thing I would change is that I'd add a wash to the cargo crates to give them some dimensional "depth" and visual interest. As is, they look sort of "flat" and toylike. But the truck itself–beautiful!

For starters Harry the master for this casting was made 40 years ago, if not longer. My issue is why the OP needs to exploit the shortcomings in order to promote his work and modifications. The work on this build speaks for itself. By dwelling on what he finds wrong under mines the effort and work of the Gentleman who made the original master as well as the Gentleman who currently casts it. Both of those men have made significant contributions to the hobby of Model Truck Building, it is a long lasting legacy. There is no reason for the OP to promote his efforts by criticizing the efforts of those that made it possible, and that is what I find unjust and uncalled for.

Thanks for your replies!

Harry, thanks for your support!

Anthony, reading your posts for the first time I thought post-11944-0-87400000-1391640400.gif

After reading them again,however, it seems to me that they were simply insufficiently thought out.

Probably we all agree that modeling forums are not made for promoting sales of manufacturers but for supplying own and substantial information in order to help other modelers to choose modeling products.

In the early days of modeling forums I used to post my pictures without further information. Among these models was an extensively improved, originally extremely poor but expensive kit. Some time later a forum member posted that he bought the same kit and was annoyed to see that the box content had little to do with my model. He reproached me with wasting his money by being too lazy for giving essential information.

Therefore I never post pictures without mentioning all major shortcomings and everything that is not OOB. Holding back such information – t h i s is unjust.

If your oppinion remains different – it is at your discretion to ignore my future topics.

BTW reading obviates writing sometimes. My post #43 in the mentioned GMC topic says:

Admittedly the AITM cabs have their shortcomings, and it takes a lot of effort, and it requires some skills to achieve a nice result. Nevertheless for the true vintage truck enthusiast the effort is really worth, so I would like to encourage every inclined modeler.

post-11944-0-35368700-1391640580.gif

For starters Harry the master for this casting was made 40 years ago, if not longer. My issue is why the OP needs to exploit the shortcomings in order to promote his work and modifications. The work on this build speaks for itself. By dwelling on what he finds wrong under mines the effort and work of the Gentleman who made the original master as well as the Gentleman who currently casts it. Both of those men have made significant contributions to the hobby of Model Truck Building, it is a long lasting legacy. There is no reason for the OP to promote his efforts by criticizing the efforts of those that made it possible, and that is what I find unjust and uncalled for.

Sorry, Anthony, but I completely disagree with your views on this. Pointing out problems with a model, whether an injection-molded kit or an aftermarket resin kit, is an inherent part of a model building forum.

I don't think Jürgen was listing the model's shortcomings in order to promote himself. His talents as a modeler are obvious and he has no need to blow his own horn. His work speaks for itself. He was merely commenting on the kit in an effort to inform others who may have an interest in building this particular model what they can expect.

If we can't be honest here about a model's shortcomings, then the whole point of a forum is lost.

Absolutely incredible workmanship! An encouragement and inspiration for hackers like myself that shows it CAN be done..

And pardon my ignorance but I still am not quite gasping what you indeed do for glass. I understand what you are not doing.

I just picked up the 'Late' sleeper cab F model to turn into a 'Hayes', any more information on making the glass would be a big help!

Jesse, Michael, I will try to explain the technique. While the technique itself is rather simple the explanation is rather difficult (I did it in a German forum probably without much success). This is why a picture or drawing will be necessary. Therefore please give me a little time.

That turned out nice. I would like to get a couple of aitm macks, an A51 and LJX. Plan to use italeri chassis with mack cross members and mack camel back susspesion. What chassis did you use?

Ben

Ben, I used the AMT Cruise-Liner as a donor kit. Though I love the old AMT trucks I must say that the fit of the chassis parts was not very good and that the right position of parts was often vague. The same is true for the R985ST. The (originally Ertl) DM600/DM800 are much better .But as far as I know all these kits are OOP and thus extremely expensive.

As far as I know from German forums all newer Italeri kits have a simple generic chassis. Probably an older Italeri kit is easier to convert.

Sorry, Anthony, but I completely disagree with your views on this. Pointing out problems with a model, whether an injection-molded kit or an aftermarket resin kit, is an inherent part of a model building forum.

I don't think Jürgen was listing the model's shortcomings in order to promote himself. His talents as a modeler are obvious and he has no need to blow his own horn. His work speaks for itself. He was merely commenting on the kit in an effort to inform others who may have an interest in building this particular model what they can expect.

If we can't be honest here about a model's shortcomings, then the whole point of a forum is lost.

I didn't expect you to agree Harry, you asked me why his criticism was uncalled for and unjust. I gave you my viewpoint, no more, no less.

Thanks for your replies!

Harry, thanks for your support!

Anthony, reading your posts for the first time I thought attachicon.giftrolls.gif

After reading them again,however, it seems to me that they were simply insufficiently thought out.

Probably we all agree that modeling forums are not made for promoting sales of manufacturers but for supplying own and substantial information in order to help other modelers to choose modeling products.

In the early days of modeling forums I used to post my pictures without further information. Among these models was an extensively improved, originally extremely poor but expensive kit. Some time later a forum member posted that he bought the same kit and was annoyed to see that the box content had little to do with my model. He reproached me with wasting his money by being too lazy for giving essential information.

Therefore I never post pictures without mentioning all major shortcomings and everything that is not OOB. Holding back such information – t h i s is unjust.

If your oppinion remains different – it is at your discretion to ignore my future topics.

BTW reading obviates writing sometimes. My post #43 in the mentioned GMC topic says:

Admittedly the AITM cabs have their shortcomings, and it takes a lot of effort, and it requires some skills to achieve a nice result. Nevertheless for the true vintage truck enthusiast the effort is really worth, so I would like to encourage every inclined modeler.

attachicon.gifdeadhorse.gif

Jurgen,

Your explanation for "supplying substantial information" may be true regarding German Modeling Forums, however, this is not a German forum. It is based in the United States, as is AITM. I wonder if your findings might have been different if the caster was from Germany... I disagree with your reasons and your explanation. As for ignoring your future topics you can consider it done, I have better things to do with my time.