Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Mack F Daycab (AITM) with Flatbed Trailer - Plus Tutorial: Glazing Resin Cabs without Glue

Thanks a lot for the latest comments!

I am always happy when one of my older topics still attracts interest.

Since this topic is viewed rather often I think the thumbnails are not very user-friendly. I will try to replace them by direct links to Photobucket. Hope it works.

Thanks for the response.

After re-reading the tutorial I would like to point out that this technique turned out to be very useful on my current diecast car project too.

When rebuilding diecast models their off-the-shelf glass parts are often too poor to be used again. Gluing new windows to metal surfaces with sufficient adhesion and without visible glue is particularly difficult or even impossible.

The technique worked here perfectly.

Thanks for the replies!

Jurgen, outstanding Mack! I like to hear all commentary about a build, good and bad, tends to give one a greater appreciation of the end result. Love your work.

... and (hopefully) sometimes mispurchases :( can be prevented.

Thomas,

I am sorry, I never start WIP threads. As mentioned in earlier topics I find taking pictures and making notes while building very disruptive - this was the reason why I stopped writing magazine articles many years ago. Generally I prefer How-to articles and tutorials because IMO they mean less expenditure of time for the author and more benefit for the reader.

Thomas,

I am sorry, I never start WIP threads. As mentioned in earlier topics I find taking pictures and making notes while building very disruptive - this was the reason why I stopped writing magazine articles many years ago. Generally I prefer How-to articles and tutorials because IMO they mean less expenditure of time for the author and more benefit for the reader.

I agree.  it's all about vanity. 

Jürgen, I am a bit disappointed. You have probably realized that I am totally delighted with your AITM models. By following a WIP process I hoped to learn if my skills would be sufficient to build a test model. Searching the web during the past weeks I found a lot of completely botched cabs and I don't want to add another failure.

Besides this my expenses would be considerable. Cab, donor kit, freight, and German customs duties would add up to roughly € 180.00 for one tractor. That's not exactly chicken feed.

You mentioned at the beginning that the worst problem of this cab is the cast grille. Searching the web and the major forums I found no other modeler who solved this problem. All AITM F cabs I found still had the cast grille. Maybe I can cope with all other problems, but what about the grille? Photo etching f. e. is beyond my capabilities, so this would exclude the F cab for me.

Peter, thanks a lot! I am always happy when an outstanding modeler like you appreciates one of my models.

Thomas, I found my description in a German forum (Post # 14).

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=44309

If anything is not understandable please let me know.

I don't want to interfere in your decision but before tackling the F cab as your very first resin attempt you should be aware of the large and curved windscreens. Even if you accept the blemishes of the white glue method glazing them is rather difficult by comparison.

Moreover for any Mack cab you would need a pricey AMT/MPC Mack donor kit.

Peter, thanks a lot! I am always happy when an outstanding modeler like you appreciates one of my models.

Thomas, I found my description in a German forum (Post # 14).

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=44309

If anything is not understandable please let me know.

I don't want to interfere in your decision but before tackling the F cab as your very first resin attempt you should be aware of the large and curved windscreens. Even if you accept the blemishes of the white glue method glazing them is rather difficult by comparison.

Moreover for any Mack cab you would need a pricey AMT/MPC Mack donor kit.

I'm a member of that site.  It seems every truck build is top notch! 

I'm a member of that site.  It seems every truck build is top notch! 

This is really amazing!

I left the Wettringer Forum after only 2 or 3 months early in 2013 because some of the moderators didn't do their jobs.

Are you just watching the German content or are you even posting? I can't remember any member posting not in German though the Wettringer Forum seemed to be already the largest European modeling forum.

Jürgen, thanks for the link. I think I understand your explanation. Making the grille seems to be not as difficult as I supposed.

Nevertheless I would drop the F cab if you have such objections. As I said earlier I would spend too much time and too much money to fail at last.

I think you mentioned somewhere that you have a considerable number of different AITM cabs still in your stash. Any tangible recommendation among these for a very first project would be highly appreciated (supposedly not only by me).  

This is really amazing!

I left the Wettringer Forum after only 2 or 3 months early in 2013 because some of the moderators didn't do their jobs.

Are you just watching the German content or are you even posting? I can't remember any member posting not in German though the Wettringer Forum seemed to be already the largest European modeling forum.

I did a post or two in English and got chastised for it.  I was told this is a German forum and all posts should be done in German.  Either way, the quality of the builds is always at a high level.

I did a post or two in English and got chastised for it.  I was told this is a German forum and all posts should be done in German.  Either way, the quality of the builds is always at a high level.

To me such language restrictions don't make any sense, the more as even most Europeans don't speak German. Such restrictions only keep particularly committed foreign modelers from posting and make any forum less interesting.

IMO, however, these restrictions in German forums are no nationalistic attempt to promote the German language.

As long as East Germany was part of the Eastern bloc all pupils and students were forced to learn Russian. Only very few East Germans who left school/university before 1990 (i. e. before the German reunification) speak or understand English very well. I think German forums simply don't want to neglect such members.

... I think you mentioned somewhere that you have a considerable number of different AITM cabs still in your stash. Any tangible recommendation among these for a very first project would be highly appreciated (supposedly not only by me).  

Thomas, I have 9 AITM cabs still in the stash. Regarding required skills there are obvious differences between them. After a surface impression 2 or 3 might be suitable as a first project. Since pictures tell more than words I am possibly going to add some pictures, so it might take some time.

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautifully built model, regardless of its source!  Just exquisite!  I don't think I have ever built a model out of the box or otherwise that did not need some tweaking here and there to get the result I was after.  These forums are great when the information presented is taken at its best.  Glean it for useful hints and techniques.  So long as the criticism is positive let 'er rip!  That's when we all get the most out of it!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas and all of you who might also be interested ,

I have these AITM cabs still in the stash:

1. CK-43 International 2070A Fleetstar

2. CK-13 Mack C-600

3. CK-19 Mack LJ

4. CK-130 Dodge LS-1000

5. CK-7 Mack B-61

6. CK-40 Dodge CNT 900/1000

7. CK-11 Mack LMSWM

8. CK-107 Mack H-67

9. CK-110 GMC 530

I exclude here the Mack H-67 because its massive resin grille is an integral part of the cab. Removing and replacing it by a realistic grille is certainly a particular challenge.

I also exclude the GMC 530 because its general casting quality is the poorest by far of all my cabs.

Contrary to my former consideration I also exclude the GMC 9500, so after all I will post everything here in the Mack thread. If inspite of that you have a special interest in the GMC 9500 cab you can find more detailed information about its issues here

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=43240

I suppose the German text will be no problem for Thomas  :D  .

In the following link (Post #12) you can find some remarks of a skilled Swiss fellow modeler concerning other AITM cabs, namely CK-71, 72, 73, 74, 77, 48 and 100. If the sense of the German text is not understandable and you are interested I will translate it.

http://www.modell-laster-forum.de/t3173f14-Mack-F-Daycab-AITM-mit-Flatbed-Trailer.html

I will point out some pros and cons of my cabs regarding them notabene as a very first AITM project. The differences between these cabs are considerable.

I am going to post 3 photos of each cab. The corresponding pictures on the AITM pages are too small to show very much.

Remember that I can only judge my own cabs cast some years ago. Things might have changed in the meantime.

Your final decision, however, depends on your individual skills, your modeling equipment, and your willingness to spend more or less time and effort. And last but not least you have to like the 1:1 cab.

Before any decision search the web if you can find sufficient scale drawings and pictures of the 1:1 vehicle and check availabilities on the AITM pages .

CK-43 International 2070A Fleetstar

grille: clean

windscreen: slightly curved

windscreen frame/weatherstrip: missing

panel lines/gaps: straigh,t but depth varies

wall thickness: thin

surface quality: good

CK-13 Mack C-600

grille: clean

windscreen: plane

windscreen frame/weatherstrip: replicated

panel lines/gaps: mostly straight, but partially reworking necessary