Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad Chrome?

I'm new to the more advanced model techniques. I bought a bottle of alclad about a month ago and am scared to use it. I'm wanting to paint some big truck tanks and stacks and some flat stuff too. What do I need to prep the pieces? What to prime with? Any special things to do while spraying? Thanks

Good primer like Tamiya fine is what I use, for the Alclad Chrome - Base of Gloss Black Enamel. When dry get ready to spray the chrome. Turn down the air on your compressor (12 lbs on mine) spray the alcad on very lightly building it up holding the airbrush about an inch in a half to two inches from object being painted. Paint as if you were painting over lines on paper - back and forth not fogging it.

The nice thing if you muck it up it cleans off real easily with windex.

I sprayed some semi tanks last night with polished aluminum (black acrylic base for that one) and they were not polished enough for my liking - more like spun aluminum. Right now I am waiting for the black to set up for chrome later on tonight.