Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher 1907 FIAT 1/8th

Pocherphile

Casadio-Revival made a series of extremely nice 1/20 antique racers, like this smaller version of the Pocher Fiat -- another superb piece of work from Jurgen.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952276-1907-fiat-f-2-130hp-grand-prix-racer-120/

This rare 1/12 Fiat Mefistofele kit by Protar looks like a real winner...

http://www.bigscalemodels.com/cars/fiat_mefistofele/mephistopheles.html

Casadio-Revival made a series of extremely nice 1/20 antique racers, like this smaller version of the Pocher Fiat -- another superb piece of work from Jurgen.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952276-1907-fiat-f-2-130hp-grand-prix-racer-120/

This rare 1/12 Fiat Mefistofele kit by Protar looks like a real winner...

http://www.bigscalemodels.com/cars/fiat_mefistofele/mephistopheles.html

Italeri has started releasing kits from the Protar line-up...........I have already ordered the 1/6th Moto Guzzi 850 California, 770 pieces!

And another future release.........you guessed it.........1/12 Fiat Mefistofele.......will order this the moment I see available.

Its funny in a way, I know a dealer/collector who asked very high prices for out of production kits.......he is selling all his ( 2 kits) of the Fiat off @ 3 times what the new repop will cost......who in their right mind would pay that........another collector I sappose???? And whats funny, he is aware of this and yet is trying to get as much for one of these as one would pay for a Pocher kit.......... :angry:

You know the ole saying.........a fool and his money

Rick B)

I guess I've gotta thank Dr. Archive -Skip- for brainstorming this idea and giving Harry the impetus to put on another show.

Among the things I love about all these early cars is the sheer 'mechanical-ness' of them. They really look like industrial revolution machines. They suggest that you needed big bullets to drive them at speed with effectiveness.

They're all big spoked wheels, gears, levers, ratchets, chains and a bare minimum of controls and no comforts.

Always dusty (then-not now in museums) and used hard. A kid's dream about going fast.

These recent threads by you guys are a breath of fresh air about where we came from automotively. The Stutz, Locomobile, Mercer and Fiat are just wonderful examples and I'd love to have any of them on my bench. Keep 'em coming. Maybe a section for 'early machines' Harry?? Or too many sections already? :unsure:

Also in this vein but later are Campbell's Bluebird (not that hosed-down movie car), any of the early LSR monsters with aero engines, and the AutoUnion and Benz Autobahn record holders. Love to see large scale kits of those.

...that Fiat is getting tempting. :wub:

Double dog dare ya.............!

Rick

I know I talk more than I build, but I have just got to say..........without a doubt, I am a member of many Forums that cover differant subjects, but I believe this one to be my favorite of them all........really like this place and the people that make it fun.

Now everyone can gag..........I know, too mushy!

Rick B)

I know I talk more than I build, but I have just got to say..........without a doubt, I am a member of many Forums that cover differant subjects, but I believe this one to be my favorite of them all........really like this place and the people that make it fun.

Now everyone can gag..........I know, too mushy!

Rick B)

I'm happy to hear that you like this place. B)

agreed with everyone else that I finally found a great site with mutually great people!

You guys have (for me), made this the best category on the forum.

Great contributions of history and methods, big talent, no controversy and cool cars that have been largely forgotten.

Not any more.

I got the FIAT for a fair price when I purchased off of eBay, but there has been one showing up of late over $700.00, really...........please anyone reading this thread, do not pay $700.00 f/a FIAT.......a Rolls or a Benz sure, but not a FIAT???????? :angry:

Rick B)

I missed a few built Fiats for 150-200. can you take em apart easily?

For those looking for a Pocher kit to give a try @.........built is the way to go. The kits are designed to be assembled w/screws, nuts and bolts.......some parts just snap together. And they were made to put together w/o painting..........and many were and did do just that. So as you prowel eBay, look for that one that is failing apart, not painted and the parts that are missing, can be replaced......get it for a song. Or go the other way, you gotta have as a kit no one has monkied with, price climbs fast and high, then there is the still sealed in box, the highest price of all and most cases, the most warped pile of plastic you could get ahold of!

Back to your question.........I have took glue bombs, take apart, re-work and when done, look as good as if it just come out of the box. I now look f/built kits 1st.....as a matter of fact, I have been watching for a Benz, built with wire wheels.

Rick ;)

Edited by Pocherphile

so it seems one could get a broken- built one for 200 or under.

I saw an after market wood wheel set for the Fiat but the ''grain'' seemed all wrong. the tires would for sure need to be replaced. the rest could have some scratch building to look excellent. maybe I will try one!

so it seems one could get a broken- built one for 200 or under.

I saw an after market wood wheel set for the Fiat but the ''grain'' seemed all wrong. the tires would for sure need to be replaced. the rest could have some scratch building to look excellent. maybe I will try one!

Look for a built un-painted............forget the wood wheels, to me they seem chessy...........white rubber for shoes is just too cool f/the FIAT.........though from what I have seen, they are copies of the orignals made of white vinyl! Model RC Car Body (Lexan) paint.....perfect on the basic tires and stays put, white on red painted wheels.......same results, alot less doe spent, saved for more kits! Go for it, after I complete the Mercer, I look to return to the FIAT.

Rick B)