Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale Edmund's Super Modified

horsepower

I've found a place to get prints of the original velum drawings/plans for several of Don Edmund's race Cars I am interested in building a 1/24 version of the four bar car Super Modified from the late '60s I sent Don an email & found that the plans are drawn in 1/8scale but as I said I want to build mine in 1/24th scale the prints run around $48 for a two piece set that are signed. If there is any one that would like to build one of these unique cars in 1/8th scale & might consider in going together to purchase a set of these plans let me know,I can come up with some pictures of one of these cars that ran locally in 1969-1970 for reference as to what the finished car looked like. Thanks, Del

Hi Del; I am currently building that Edmunds supermodified from Don's plans, that I bought from him. They are drawn in 1/8 scale which is all I build in so it's perfect for me. Here's a couple of pictures with my car and a Monogram model in 1/24th scale that you can still buy.It would be cheaper than buying those plans, although they are cool and come with a cut-away drawing.

101_5173_zpse154c391.jpg

101_5069_zps701d7f1d.jpg

101_5033_zps9ee056c3.jpg

Super (no pun intended) build! I have around a half dozen of the Monogram kits, but the car I want to build is the next version, it is a much lighter car being constructed mainly of 1-1/2 inch tubing, and was a "four bar" car much like a modern sprint car, except it followed the Indy cars of the day in that the front bars were connected to the axle with links, it was a longer wheelbase of around 90 inches. The car I want to model never handled very well until at the last race at the old Sacramento mile when a young kid named Opperman told them to "get rid of those BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH links and let the front end work" that it actually worked well, the car had come from the back to around 12th place when the race was red flagged for the final time.

Edited by horsepower

I don't think I ever saw that 4 bar car. The plans I got, from Don, are a front buggy spring, rear torsion bar car. Older sprinters and lots of the old supers ran that set up, as you know, before going to a 4 bar set up. This plan shows an 86" wheelbase so it was for short tracks not like the Sac. mile. The race you saw Opperman in; was that early 70s when Jimmy Gordon and two other died there that day. I saw several USAC "big car" races there as a kid. The one car you're talking about; does it use double radius rods on both sides? That would have put it in a bind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

101_5357_zps6f29a6cf.jpg

I'm back on this model to finish it. Very colorful, if nothing else. I find the bird cage to wishbone radius rod connection very interesting. The rods attach solid to a plate which is part of the birdcage. There's a hiem's end wher it connects to the frame but that's all. This model suspension actually works, even the buggy spring front.

101_5352_zps25e56011.jpg

101_5353_zps86317e48.jpg

101_5356_zps152a3fd6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...