Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slammed 55 Ford Dually

Well as the small minded person in question, all I did was send a private message, suggesting he work on the basics of clean building before jumping into advanced modifications. I did so in a very polite, private and thoughtful way, in the hopes he would not take it as a personal attack, but as constructive criticism from someone who wants to see him improve as a builder.

Apparently I missed the mark. My bad.

It is called constructive criticism. I'm am sure there was no ill intent. Just like there is none intended as i write this. I do have to agree with him hammer out the basics first. Your model has a couple issues and there are things you did very well on. We as a modeling group are all here to support and help each other build the best models we can.

This is a model car forum not a place where you criticize people or judge their work I know most people are not that great at building models or not at painting them or modifying them or are just learning how to so give them a chance is all you have to do so MCM ohana I have seen some of your work and it's not that great trust me I've seen better so how does it feel to be criticized and judged oh and your rat rod needs a better paint job thanks Sam

Sam If he was being a jerk it would not have been a PM. If he was trying to make you feel bad it would have been right here for all to see.

What he did was tell you what he thought in a privet message so that you and only you could read . This is the right way to do this. Constructive criticism is hard to take but is not intended hurt you but help. Do not let this bother just take it in stride and reread the PM. You may find that he had no bad intent just trying to help. After some time on here you may send someone a PM for a bit of help also. Keep on building Sam .

i always think constructive critisism is great , as long as the person makes clear its ment helpfull its actually ment in the bast way possible ...

its like cool to get great replyes but on some occasions people should be able to give hounest opinions , in this case it comes across to me like the intensions of jantrix where not , ment badly ... i dont want to go in the details but the only thing i can say is that me personally would never degrade a person and would always have the greatest intensions when replying ...

but when he would say in a nicely ment manour that on some things you maybe would be better of putting more time in other stuff then hgeavy mods i can understand and maybe thats a bit right ..

seeing your model to me it looks bad ass styling wise ..

so the looks are great , but the fact is it looked like a work in progress the first time i saw it , and again i mean you no harm at all , no i would rather help a person then try to flame them ..

its a hobby and we all have skill levels and all learn more every build ...

so i wont go in the details about what i think you could improve on on this particulair buils but only trying to make you see that people def. are not out to harm you , especially Jantrix .. trust me on that one

now please dont feel offended or attacked see this as a adult forum discussion / conversation

I'm not mad and in no harm was I I told people that it was just something I threw together I was just tinkering with like a mock up car same way with my pikes peak truck I'm just popping weird ideas in my head of how stuff would look and what you guys think of it maybe I will start putting them on under the construction part thanks for understanding how I feel thanks Sam

I usually don't get involved in threads where people have such strong feelings. However, keeping in mind this is a concept, I get this build entirely. In fact, anyone who owns a mini truck, has known someone with one, or has been to a mini truck show gets it. We really do see people cut tops off fenders, chop out the bed floor and inner fenders with a sawzall, mount the gas tank and air tank to the top of the frame. It's what we mini truckers do when we are desperately wanting to do a mod and don't have the money. We improvise...and at the end of the day, when we finally get the money and/or skills to finish the project, people shake our hands. For reference, do a search for Wyatt Strange. Most of us probably wouldn't paint at this stage but, hey, it's a model kit so anything goes.

I never had any issues with either of you but, I haven't seen the PM either. So, without commenting on anyone else's views or taking a side in the matter, I just wanted to say its down my alley...excepting Im a Chevy guy of coarse. B) But the style I get 150%. May I make a suggestion though? Perhaps build another of these as the finished version. Do it up with maybe flared fender tops with that portion of the hood sides cut away with the new bodyline (something like you did here). Do a raised bed floor. Fully shave it...all the little things that you would possibly do if this were a 1:1. Then everyone would see the two side by side and see what I see in it. I'd personally love to see a finished version of this laying flat on the ground next to it bagged and plumbed. (SP?)

Most importantly, good or bad, don't let anyone's opinion be a negative influence on your building. I've had someone come into my office, not once but, twice and destroy all my models. I'm talking probably 40-50 finished builds each time here...some of them $50 Aoshima and Tamiya kits. I took a leave of absence, and both times I came back to the bench with a determined mind set to not let anything stop me from building what I want. Granted life gets in my way of building a lot of the time. But hey, that's just the way it is when you work and have a family. The point is, don't detract from something you love. Stay positive and focused. It's a win win situation that way. You continue growing with the hobby you love and any neigh-sayers will become yeah-sayers

Edited by Skydime

The comment you made is rude what if it was a kid or so handicapped person building this I would be very embaraced if I was you but thanks any way and like I said it was just a throw together build any way

Good for you Sam!!

Being a disabled person my self I applaud you for your reply.

I can't build very well but still am a model car enthusiast, does that mean I can't participate here ?

You have to be careful with people that place the honor of "artist" upon themselves, and should follow their own advice about ....if you don't like some thing just click and move on.

( sent by my voice to type system)

Sam number one I dig the cut out on the fenders and the Hood I like them. I have never posted a rat rod. But I know I am not a great builder for several reasons time work etc. Hell my 9 yr old step son can paint better then i can. I do this for fun one of the first builds I posted Harry p. Suggested to fix the what he calls the magic floating alternator and I did and on ever build since I have made sure the alternator is held by

some form of bracket. It may not be correct but it is there. I as a builder who wish to improve on every build I can point out tons of things I don't like with each of my models and great guys like joker,ace and Harry point things out to improve everybody's models plus make suggestiions on how to do that. Again I say you did a lot of things right it is a neat build I understand it was what I call a slump buster. I concede the fact that constructive criticism is a delicate art of not bashing a persons build but uplifting the things that are right then saying hey here is an idea to make the next one even better I am always open to it. if a did post a rat rod at one time what can I improve on?

Thanks dave I understand that's what the build is it's a under construction build but the guy told me in a email basically it looked bad that I had glue marks in it everything ain't straight and I told people when I posted it on here that it was a rat under construction rod kinda like my pikes peak truck I built it's just ideas that pop into my head and believe me I've seen worse on here but I don't tell people that I just put I like on the ones or I go to a new pic so thanks for under standing

Okay, so we have the entire story, here is my original PRIVATE message that I sent. That way you may form an educated opinion on my intentions. You will note that I never said anything about his modifications, style, paint or anything like that. I just pointed out some BASIC modeling issues, PRIVATELY. I have done this with dozens of new builders or builders returning to the hobby over the years, with excellent results and relationships. I cannot help that Sam is not open to the feedback. Enjoy.

Sam, I just wanted to drop you a quick note on your work.

I'd like to invite you to check out the following thread. It's called "Walk, Then Run."

http://www.modelcars...l=&fromsearch=1

I send you this to you because I see my work years ago in what you posted. You are attempting advanced building without learning the basics of model building. Cleaning up mold seams on the parts, ejector pin marks (those round marks on the firewall), and cleaning away flash from the molding process, clean use of glues and adhesives. Get some sanding sticks in the nail care area of your local beauty supply store, these will be your best friends.

Please understand I'm not trying to put you down. Far from it. I'm trying to help you become a better builder. And building cleanly will get you more respect here than all the custom work in the world.

Please read the thread if you've a mind to, and the comments by our fellow builders here. I hope it is illuminating.

Please let me know if I can be any help.

Edited by Jantrix