Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950's Batmobile 1/25th (First/Return Build)

Half-orc

It's been many years (decades) since I last sat down to build a model kit, but after my wife surprised me with this Batmobile model at Christmas, I felt I had to at least try.

It's a Polar Lights Johnny Lightning 1950's Batmobile, which came with a die-cast pre-painted shell, but all the rest needed to be prepped, painted and assembled. For a first effort since my teens, I'm quite proud of myself and I hope you don't mind me sharing! ~ Paul.

Where on Earth did this come from? Never seen or heard of it. Or is this your custom version of another kit? What scale is it?

EDIT: Okay, I see it was originally a diecast. How did you modify it?

Hi and thanks for the reply!

Nope, not a custom. Just a shop bought kit. :)

Here's a pic of the packaging;

The outer shell and fin are diecast, but all the rest is plastic. I'm not totally happy with the wood interior, but next time I'll try some alternative techniques with enamels rather than sticking to my safety zone of water based acrylics.

I've done some digging and apparently it was originally released in 2001 and the model number is #6903.

I had thought it was Polar Lights, but looking again at the box I have here, I might have that wrong. Is 'Playing Mantis' a brand? Basically it has 'Johnny Lightning' plastered all over it!

Hope that helps! :D

Hi and thanks for the reply!

Nope, not a custom. Just a shop bought kit. :)

Here's a pic of the packaging;

The outer shell and fin are diecast, but all the rest is plastic. I'm not totally happy with the wood interior, but next time I'll try some alternative techniques with enamels rather than sticking to my safety zone of water based acrylics.

I've done some digging and apparently it was originally released in 2001 and the model number is #6903.

I had thought it was Polar Lights, but looking again at the box I have here, I might have that wrong. Is 'Playing Mantis' a brand? Basically it has 'Johnny Lightning' plastered all over it!

Hope that helps! :D

Aha! I don't know if he produced this Batmobile, but the Johnny Lightning/Playing Mantis line was once under the management of our forum member, Art Anderson.

If you've taken decades off, I have to say that there is sure no "ring rust" on your skills! Excellent detailing on this one. I've probably built for 30 years and can't detail like that. :blink: You say you aren't completely happy with it but, all I see that could improve is using a little bare metal foil (BMF). You must be a perfectionist. :D

Edited by Skydime