Model Cars Magazine Forum

question about the Ford car-hauler cab

I have some questions about the cab on the Ford car-hauler. What kind of radio is it that fits to the roof of the interior, (C.B. or AM-FM) and what would you use for a radio face or dials? Also, the roof mounted air conditioner has "legs" on the botom of it, How is the air supposed to get to the cab that way? Last and not really important to me but if you were building it, would you fill in between the cab shell and the interior?

Thanks

The radio on the ceiling is just a AM radio,that is where they used to put it then,when this truck was new we didn't have FM.The AC box on the roof is supposed to have 2 hoses going to it,it is the condenser,the cold air would come from the dash vents,the compressor mounts on the motor someplace,all that is in that box is a small radiator.the legs should be 4 rubber mounts?.The roof top units in the 359 pete kits was more self contained,they had vents that came in a hole in the roof,but this type is different.As for filling in the cab sides,you could if you like,I think the biggest problem with this kit is the way the cab mounts,i think it should be different then it is? Good Luck

Thank you very much for your reply. That answer seems very complete to me. The A C box on the roof, would the two lines exit from the back or the bottom of the unit and would they just hang over the back of the cab? Also, could I just substitute the one from the 359 kit,(would it be as correct as the one in the Ford kit)?

The lines would run down the back of the cab and run uner the floor and hook to the compressor on the motor,The AC lines are really quite complicated,but in this scale anything goes?.They would exit straight out the back of the box on the roof,You could use any of the other boxes too,back in the day they used to run what ever would fit,you see a lot of custom stuff back then.Have you ever been to Hanks Tuck Pictures,it is a great spot for pictures of this kind of stuff.

If you want to do some scrounging, Red Dot was big in these air conditioner packages. Just google them as they are still around. Might be able to find something. Air condition on a Ford C series (or any truck of this style and vintage) would definitely be a luxury and rarity. With regards to air discharge using ducts in the cab I doubt it...but am gladly willing to be proven wrong. There would have been a second "unit" with the blower motor and ducts somewhere in the cab. Perhaps under the dash as typical add on units back in the day. It was never "integrated" on these to the best of my knowledge (there are no vents built in...only heat and defrost ducts) as that would have required major retooling for an option that was seldom ordered and certainly not cost effective for a design going back long before air condition being common.

Good luck!

post-11464-0-60301600-1392171984_thumb.j

post-11464-0-84607700-1392172073_thumb.j

I was going down the freeway a few days after seeing your post and saw a Ford C with an AC unit on the roof. These are not all that common, I don't even recall seeing one before, but there it was, so I turned around and got a couple of photos. It was on the other side of a fence so I couldn't get really good detail shots or tilt the cab, but hopefully these will still be of some use.

FordCAC1_zpsf73f3c6d.jpg

FordCAC2_zps714ba219.jpg

FordCAC3_zpsab916f30.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Most of the auxiliary roof mounted AC units had inbuilt fans and had the air vents coming out at the bottom of the unit so it sat over a hole in the roof, either where a roof hatch had been on trucks who had that or you had to cut a hole for it, so the cool air was blowing up around your head.

The only thing needed extra except for the unit itself was an AC compressor on the engine and the hoses from it to the AC unit.
I had a neighbour who had this kind of unit on one of his trucks back in the late 70's.

Edited by Force

I want to thank all of you for the effort you put into this for me. I have the Budweiser decals for this and I thought that a hi-dollor sponsor would opt for this but after looking at the Ford drag team haulers, I see that they didn't have them. So I might just leave it off of this build. I'm also going to do a C-cab hauler with an after-market hauler body. With the great pictures Aaron got, I think I'll just have to put it on that one.

• 3 months later...