Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Mod "Motown Missile" FINISHED! 4/6/14

am73grand

So my new friend Sean and I swapped some models. I got a bunch of vintage Pro Stock cars and he got a bunch of trucks.

In my pile was a Competition Resins '72 Cuda with a Ross Gibson hemi pro stock motor and the Motown Missile Decals. After doing some research I found a lot of Motown Missile builds.

I wanted to be different......How to be different? Go Pro mod with a vintage theme!!! This will be a stock bodied 'Cuda with a Ross Gibson pro mod motor.

I prefer to work with plastic when possible so I pulled a built up '74 Cuda off the shelf, took it apart, and cut out the hood and trunk.

The resin hood fits like a glove

mm3-vi.jpg

Then I started on the cage using .080 styrene rod. This is the bottom of the cage:

mm4-vi.jpg

Top of the cage

mm5-vi.jpg

Frame mocked up with the engine:

mm7-vi.jpg

The blower is still gonna stick out of that tall hood!!

mm9-vi.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do on the cage and I have started on the body work. It may not be 100% correct but I'm having fun and that is all that matters!

Edited by am73grand

Very cool. Like Sean said, the styrene rod is impressive. To me in paticular because I like the idea of trying to build a chassis, but I can't solder well at all at this point. I wonder if I'd have better luck this way. Anyway, will be watching, thanks for sharing.

Dave

Edited by Dave42

Got some more done on this the last couple of days.

I got the resin rear bumper installed:

mm13-vi.jpg

I extended the front of the floor:

mm15-vi.jpg

Some more cage work done:

mm14-vi.jpg

mm11-vi.jpg

I hope to finish the cage in the next couple of days and then I will get to work making the shocks/struts.

Thanks for looking

I got some more done over the past few days. After looking at Tyrone's pro mod engine I realized I had the wrong heads in my kit. I used some parts box heads and I will be using dual plug valve covers.

The chassis is complete except for the upper strut mounts.

mm16-vi.jpg

The chassis is in pieces so I can paint the floor pan a contrasting color.

mm17-vi.jpg

Mocked up:

mm19-vi.jpg

Edited by am73grand

I love where this is going, it's how I wanted my first build to go but I couldn't find a blower to fit my Hemi so I just thru some Dominators on it and made it more of a street hot rod, I mocked mine up with the big injector too I think it looks really cool. Yours is where I wanted mine to go but didn't have the parts or skills to build it that way.

Looks great. Here's a pic of mine mocked up, and then how it ended up some day I hope I can do what you guys do.

post-12897-0-65972400-1392523232_thumb.j

post-12897-0-96574400-1392523436_thumb.j

Edited by Skypower

I love where this is going, it's how I wanted my first build to go but I couldn't find a blower to fit my Hemi so I just thru some Dominators on it and made it more of a street hot rod, I mocked mine up with the big injector too I think it looks really cool. Yours is where I wanted mine to go but didn't have the parts or skills to build it that way.

Looks great. Here's a pic of mine mocked up, and then how it ended up some day I hope I can do what you guys do.

Your 'Cuda looks AWESOME!!! I love how the carbs poke out of the factory hole for the shaker!!! Nice job!!

Here is a small update. I got some painting done, The motor is installed in the chassis, I've added the steering column and wheel. Next up is the start of wiring. I'll add the distributors, fire bottles, and start on plumbing the fuel lines. I am having a blast with this project!

m26-vi.jpg

m25-vi.jpg

m24-vi.jpg