Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Ford Starliner field find

Baugher Garage

Outstanding! I LOVE this one. I've never tried weathering but you're giving me inspiration. I LMFAO when I read the post about seeing a used tea bag and thinking modeling material. That's awesome! Keep the pics coming!

Thanks Rob! The tea bags have turned out to be great interior material for a ratty old beater. Since they're stained and the fibers are similar to fabric at scale. Worked well for the seats and carpet on this project.

I'm going to do a field car too. Not that I want to but with my paint skills it would look better than my normal ones! :D

That's why I'm doing it! I haven't graduated from rattle cans yet... experimenting with rusty crusty stuff t get better at details.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope to finish it soon - been taking forever as I have limited time to play.

Thank you Stan! This is the first time I've tried flat tires. There are a few tutorials on here and I tried their techniques. I'm sure I'll get better at it.

I started by sanding the tire to get it rough and worn looking. Then I used a small hand saw to cut two vertical cuts into the tread along the inner and outer sidewalls, not quite all the way through. The with a small razor knife, I cut across the tread to remove the section between the cut lines. After than, I held the tire over a lit candle to heat the rubber, and pressed it onto a hard flat surface to flatten the sidewalls. This took several attempts. I ultimately headed the blade of the knife and used it to shape the rubber to spread the sidewalls out so they would stay in place. Kinda like frosting a cake. I'll try to get some pics of the process next time I do another flat.

The result is more like a tire that's rotted from sitting, rather than simply gone flat from a leak.

Your abandoned Impala is looking really great!