Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sinkhole at Corvette Museum swallows 8 cars

Wow, that was one hungry sinkhole!! 8 cars eaten and probably millions of dollars worth of Corvette history swallowed up! The couple from the list I noticed would be hardest to replace would be the millionth and 1.5 millionth cars and the ones on loan from GM. There can only be one millionth Corvette, and it's at the belly of the sinkhole. Talk about an expensive dinner!! :o

"Oops. My Bad. I thought it was the National Corvair Museum..." -Ralph Nader, seen wearing miner's helmet and carrying pick-axe.

The Corvair museum is up in Ypsilanti, MI. It's safe (so far).

I, for one, wish Nader had been there in Bowling Green at the appropriate time.... ;-)

Yeah it's a great shame. We had a couple of these in the UK recently, one swallowed a car (not a 'Vette thankfully!), the other got some poor guy who was in his bed - they never found him...

It's tragic about the museum cars, but am I right that no-one was hurt? How much warning do these things give people?

I don,t think anyone was hurt, at least the article didn't say, and thats a good thing. There probably was no warning, the ground just opened up. I think

Yeah it's a great shame. We had a couple of these in the UK recently, one swallowed a car (not a 'Vette thankfully!), the other got some poor guy who was in his bed - they never found him.

I beleave this same thing happened in Flordia, or maybe I am remebering hearing about the UK incident.

I was there about before they added on the conference room and things.

Too bad,it's a nice place. I can't figure out what the big deal is about the 83 Vette. it looks like an 84,but it's got 82 type wheels on one side... 84 type wheels on the other side. I guess because it's the only one.

If there were new Corvettes involved, I'd say 'fill it in'

***UPDATE: Cars Damaged:
1962 Black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
Entrance Live Webcam:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/webcam/camera4.shtml