Model Cars Magazine Forum

Music

chevyfever2009

In recent years I've grown to enjoy Techno or House as background music if I'm working. It keeps the pace & mood flowing nicely. If I start listening to Slayer or Slipknot at work it get's kinda awkward as I scare my co-workers.

I love a good groove though….. Swedish House Mafia pumps as often as not.

Gratest song ever: Rush, Working Man.

Since 1980 I've seen Rush 18 times. Geddy is a religious figure amongst Bassists. He plays keyboards with his right hand, hammers Bass notes on the neck with his left hand, and works a set of Taurus Bass synth pedals with his feet…. while singing. :o

Since 1980 I've seen Rush 18 times. Geddy is a religious figure amongst Bassists. He plays keyboards with his right hand, hammers Bass notes on the neck with his left hand, and works a set of Taurus Bass synth pedals with his feet…. while singing. :o

If you can call what Geddy Lee does "singing"... :rolleyes:

Geez, talk about nails on a chalkboard! My vote for "Most Annoying Voice in Rock " award.

Talent and a persons taste don't always dovetail together.

Correct. And I never said they did. What I said is that no matter what one's musical tastes may be... whether one likes the music the Beatles made or not... there's no denying their talent. To say the Beatles had "no talent" (as another poster did, not you)... that's just a ridiculous statement.

Old Country (not this dilluted rock stuff they call it now)

Oldies - Chuck Berry, Beatles, etc..

Classic Rock - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfood, The Who, ZZ Top, etc..

Rock n Roll - AC/DC, The Supersuckers (look these guys up theyre great), Airbourne (Australian band) I LOVE THE SUPERSUCKERS

Rockabilly - Reverend Horton Heat, Social Distortion, Nashville P*ssy, CHECK OUT HILLBILLY MOON EXPLOSION. THEY'RE FROM ITALY, DEMENTED ARE GO, DICK DYNAMITE AND THE DOPPLEGANGERS

Surf Rock - Dick Dale, etc...CHECK OUT THE GHASTLY ONES AND THE ATLANTICS

Big Hair Metal - Ratt, Cinderella, Motley Crue, etc..STEEL PANTHER?

Metal - Dio, Black Sabbath (newer), Danzig, Godsmack, etc...

Thrash Metal - Anthrax/Slayer/Metallica/Megadeth/Testament (older stuff), Exodus, etc...

Heavy Metal - Motorhead (new stuff) Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera

Death Metal - Testament (newer stuff)

some Punk rock - Misfits- CHECK OUT DEADBOLT, TSOL,

Oh, and I love Unknown Hinson!! dont know him? look him up on youtube!

and I cant forget, Link Wray, king of the wild guitar, and grandfather of the powerchord!

thats just a pinch of what I can remember....

Edited by Quick GMC

The first time I heard Geddy Lee "sing" I laughed. But given the musicianship, I'll take his "voice" as part of the Rush sound.

Now, if you want to talk good singer, Cory Taylor. Doesn't matter if it's Slipknot or Stone Sour, he's an amazing vocalist with incredible range. Mellow to anger in a breathe….

Say you'll haunt me- Stone Sour

Incredible vocal delivery on a mainstream "pop" type rock song

Wait & Bleed - Slipknot

Incredible vocal delivery again, but he alternates between Mr. Mellow and an angry Cookie Monster in the same sentence. Amazing….

Edited by FASTBACK340

My musical taste is all over the map, though I never venture into the lands of Country, Hip Hop, or Rap.

I usually listen to Alternative whilst I build, tho lately it's been Weather Report. When I'm programming, it's almost always 20th Century Classical.

those 3 genres are intertwining these days and it sounds terrible. Billy Ray Cirus just did a Rap remix of Achey Breaky Heart :blink:

My musical taste is all over the map, though I never venture into the lands of Country, Hip Hop, or Rap.

I usually listen to Alternative whilst I build, tho lately it's been Weather Report. When I'm programming, it's almost always 20th Century Classical.

Oooh…. Weather Report. Jaco Pastorious is THE Bass-God and the time he was with Weather Report was incredible. The production on Heavy Weather (I think their best recording) is nothing short of perfect. And the composition "A Remark you Made" is probably one of my favorite melody's. The phrasing between Wayne's Sax & Jaco's frettless Bass is impeccable. And then there's Teen Town, Birdland, Havana, etc...

8:30 is a really good live album. My Wife got me a box set that included rare concert footage. Black Market is another choice piece. Great stuff….

Music is a personal taste thing, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Rush play live. Same with AC/DC and Skinard. I play guitar (not real good) but play blues harmonica very well. My main taste today is blues and jazz, and old rock (psychedelic is my fave). and I think my Garbage CD's are the only ones I have that were recorded in the last 20 years. New stuff leaves me cold, especially if the lead singer sounds like Cookie Monster trying to convince me he's dangerous and I should fear for my life. 2 notes are not a chord, and 2 chords are not a progression, and 2 bars repeated on and on are not a complete musical thought.

Music is a personal taste thing, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Rush play live.

Exactly. We can argue music all day long and get nowhere, because taste in music is subjective, There is no "right" and "wrong," only likes and dislikes. However... there are larger truths above and beyond our personal tastes in music. I guess the post made earlier in this read about the Beatles having "no talent" still bugs me.

I don't like opera music. Period. Doesn't appeal to me in the least. But I do realize that singing opera requires a lot of talent. A LOT. So saying that opera singers have no talent would be a pretty silly statement, IMO.

Know what I mean? ;)

BTW... to answer the original question...

I know that musical tastes are largely formed fairly early in childhood, and most of us as adults tend to like the music that was popular when we were kids. So depending on our age, we're going to see a lot of different "favorite" artists. For me, some of my all-time favorites, in no particular order other than the Beatles are always at the very top of the list...

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Eagles

Bruce Springsteen

Rolling Stones

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Fleetwood Mac

The Byrds

Pearl Jam

:lol::P

If'n I had to guess, I'd say Bad Brad#2 was goofin.

Being named the "Gratest" and being named the "Greatest" could very well mean two different things, I find Rush very grating......

I saw Rush on December 2, 1978 at Cobo Arena in Detroit, other than the fact that Golden Earring opened for them-that's about the worst concert I had/have ever been to.

Growing up in Detroit during the 60's thru the 90's I remember listening to Motown while it was new and current, then came Funk, P-Funk and Punk-a-delic type LONG before Hip Hop or Rap, even though I didn't like it, I heard it every day no matter where I went. Now ever once in awhile I hear some thing from those old Funk days it takes me back and I enjoy the time trip back. (Not really the music but the time it represented to my child hood)

I Like almost every genera of music but if I'm home alone I tend to listen to the Blue Grass channel on the satellite radio-although on cloudy days I can get a great rock channel from Appleton , WI called "The Rockin Apple"

I take it there are no Justin Bieber fans in here?

Music is definitely subjective. What someone may find amazing others will find as BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Personally I am not a fan of The Beatles but I do recognize their spot in music history. Same goes for Nirvana. My tastes vary all over the place.

My guilty pleasure? Katy Perry.

Anybody else have an odd guilty pleasure?

J. Geils Band.

My angel is the centerfold!! well i tell my wife that all the time she dosn't feel that way.....

lets just say i have a whole bookshelf of cd's 2-3 time life collections from 60's gold on thru the 70's ultimate collection,

all my music spans thru the 80's (i'm a 80's kid)

I go into the 90's grunge era and into the current now

and of course my wifes country and other mixxed in

I like derrius rucker like him as country also as hootie and the blowfish

hey how about some blues traveller, government mule, zebra, I LOVE my canadian trio RUSH !!

Glad you started this thread I'm going to break out my vinyl (lp'sP and fire up the record player

anyone farmilliar with Greg Kihn band?? sorta like the j geils era.......

Firstly , being that I'm a Rock-n-Roller at heart , and especially 60's Garage and 60's Avant Garde , I'll tell you that my favourite Rock band is The Velvet Underground .

I also really love Motown and Soul . I used to enjoy watching Soul Train when I was young .

Of course , Punk (a loose term) and its off-shoots (Death Rock , New Wave , etc. ) are faves from my "angry teen" years .

I have truly diverse tastes ; my friend and I used to make "mixed tapes" (which eventually evolved into "mixed disc") . I can just as easily listen to and enjoy , say , Sade , in addition to , say , GG Allin (ever hear his earlier works with The Jabbers ?) .

post-6643-0-42953900-1392469467_thumb.jp

post-6643-0-83334500-1392469493_thumb.jp

post-6643-0-17623600-1392469520_thumb.jp

post-6643-0-18408500-1392469563_thumb.jp

post-6643-0-39256600-1392470041_thumb.jp

post-6643-0-72772700-1392470088_thumb.jp