Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod Pete 359

That's a CAT 3406 --  I found several pics on google search:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Caterpillar_3406_engine_in_KW_W900_(right).jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Caterpillar_3406_engine_in_KW_W900_(left).jpg/1280px-Caterpillar_3406_engine_in_KW_W900_(left).jpg

Also -- this site is great for these kinds of pictures.   Just search on it for Caterpillar 3406:

https://truckpartsinventory.com

Edited by Goodwrench3
Added another link

Jeff, that site is awesome, found exactly what I needed referenced. Thank you very much......

Looking good Darren just found this project!

Thanks Carl, this one has been in the works for a long time, just now got the drive to finish it however. There is a lot to still work out as I am following someone elses build by just pictures, so all the scratch building is all guess work in sizes and lengths.... but will keep it up now till its done.,,,,

OK, First off I haven't posted on this thread as I don't really believe in the whole "rat rod" fad, idea or what ever it is.... All I know is I'm seeing one KOOL Hot Rodded Pete coming together!!!!!! Love what you're doing here Darren!!!! Your ideas and work are pretty good!!!!!!! As I've seen this come together I couldn't hold back from posting any longer!!!!!!! LOL

Also have a question as to where did you get your door hinges?? I'm needing some myself for my Peterbilt wrecker!!!

Keep up the great work!!!!!!

Kerry, thank you , I am trying my hand at more scratch building and this project is perfect for that. The hinges idea came from this guy. It was even in the new trucker model magazine. Here is the link..http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/57658-autocar-sleeper-cab/?page=1

I spaced mine way to far apart because I marked the aluminum with a ruler, Ray did his a lot closer together probably by hand but for my first attempt I wanted it more uniform. One thing that I found out about doing it this way you have to cut some space in the cab wall and the door for the hinge to fit between to work, Other than that its pretty easy. It is bigger than scale but a lot more tougher than the photo etch piano hinges from detail master.

Edited by Darren B

Kerry, thank you , I am trying my hand at more scratch building and this project is perfect for that. The hinges idea came from this guy. It was even in the new trucker model magazine. Here is the link..http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/57658-autocar-sleeper-cab/?page=1

I spaced mine way to far apart because I marked the aluminum with a ruler, Ray did his a lot closer together probably by hand but for my first attempt I wanted it more uniform. One thing that I found out about doing it this way you have to cut some space in the cab wall and the door for the hinge to fit between to work, Other than that its pretty easy. It is bigger than scale but a lot more tougher than the photo etch piano hinges from detail master.

that is kool the way he did that!!!! May have to give it a go!!!!! Luckily my cab is already cut for the hinges as it had kit hinges but they've been broken for many years now!!!!

Thank you gotnitro? . this is the one that Scott built on his site and this is all I have to go by if I want to build it just like his. I have never tried to do a leaf spring before. I was going thru other ideas for the front end including airbags or some other type of front suspension but may have to try this route. Once I get the front end handled then I will be closer to getting this thing done........

8793F9AA-089B-4E2B-97C4-C67E6B43CD08_zps

Love the seat pedestal 

I definitely think you could successfully build a front leaf spring like scotts. It's just strips of plastic stacked getting slightly shorter towards the top, then he used a plate and probably paper clip wire for the u bolts . Easy peezy . The shackles look like a couple hollow tubes glued together w detail bolts on the ends..

Either way sure you'll nail it 

Love the seat pedestal 

I definitely think you could successfully build a front leaf spring like scotts. It's just strips of plastic stacked getting slightly shorter towards the top, then he used a plate and probably paper clip wire for the u bolts . Easy peezy . The shackles look like a couple hollow tubes glued together w detail bolts on the ends..

Either way sure you'll nail it 

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I am gonna try to pull it off this weekend. Hopefully by Sunday night I will have an update with a completed front end.....

Edited by Darren B