Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod Pete 359

• 2 weeks later...

Very inspirational build. I'm sure a lot of builders are going to be digging out their long stalled project hot rodded semi's and re-thinking them as we speak.Thanks for sharing your build process with us.

Thank you misterNNL, I had to do the same thing, dig out this beast from 2013 when I first started it. One of the reason for keeping me going is to not let another 4 years go by and actually get this to the finished pile....

awesome work Darren, the front springs look fantastic !!! great idea using tin for the metal bands around the leaves.

love the bomber seat too, truly ratty lol

we wont let ya drop this into the 4 yr pile again :blink:

Thank you Jeff, na I want to get this finished so hopefully I will not get stumped and wait another four years, lol.

IMG_9675.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

IMG_9676.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

\IMG_9677.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

IMG_9678.JPG.opt570x760o0%2C0s570x760.JP

FullSizeRender%286%29.jpg.opt570x760o0%2

I have been wanting to try these seats since I got my copy of issue #138, back in '09, this is the perfect project to try out the seats. Thank you Dave Zinn for the how to, they really come out convincing without a lot of work!!!! They are not finished yet. Need to add the front bar, then the bracing on the back, was even thinking about making cushions out of milliput, but not sure if I can pull those off but will try.

Edited by Darren B

IMG_9693.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

Radius rod just mocked up here, as I did not think to not glue the axle cross member in and I am having a hell of a time lining up the ubolts and plate to hold it down, not thinking that If I left it loose I could glue that sub assembly together as one piece and not fight getting the ubolts to line up. So just a quick mock up to see how it will look when I get the front end fixed.....

IMG_9769.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

IMG_9770.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

IMG_9771.JPG.opt570x427o0%2C0s570x427.JP

almost have completed the front end, just need to clip the paper clips flush with the plate and add some bolt heads, shocks and shock mounts, and tie rods....... but other than that finally made some good process on this build. I will next attack the rear end and finalize that and then its on to other tid bits...................

Edited by Darren B

Darren,

This project is looking good. I like your bomber seats. And the front spring looks awesome .

Be Well

Gator

Thank you Gator, really appreciate it. I am trying to do more scratch building then just out of box and this project was perfect to work out some scratch building. Just have to keep on pushing on and hopefully be done soon.....

Edited by Darren B