Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anybody ?

• 2 weeks later...

Best I could come up with.. lol Most shields come 48" scales out to 76.2 mm length kit part is 74mm length.. the 270 degree shield would cover the kit seam.. I'll be working with the KW kit but either style could be used..

image_24964_zps8ac77be9.jpg

Edited by Jim3

The Grill has a 1.50mm lip around the back side and measures 66.20mm wide and 56.56mm high looks to be 1mm square mesh

and looks like we would have to fab something our selves for the hinge mount to the backside of the grille and the vertical bars two outside are 56.88mm and the center one is 58.48mm and .67mm wide thickness ?

Edited by Jim3

Those would end up being pretty big, so they would be an expensive part.

doing some calculations, the 46mm radius (1.81102 inches), the circumference of a circle with a radius that big is about 11.39".

It looks like the shields don't go all the way around 360 degrees, but they go about 270 degrees around.

Doing that calculation, the part would need to be about 8 1/2" wide to bend into that shape.

Each shield would end up being 8 1/2" wide by nearly 3" long as a photoetched flat piece, that's 25.5 square inches each.

The pair would be 51 square inches.

That would mean a pair of heat shields would run about $50 retail.

I could definitely do it, but it wouldn't be a cheap part.

Best I could come up with.. lol Most shields come 48" scales out to 76.2 mm length kit part is 74mm length.. the 270 degree shield would cover the kit seam.. I'll be working with the KW kit but either style could be used..

image_24964_zps8ac77be9.jpg

Your 46mm radius dimension is grossly out of range. A 10" diameter heat shield in 1/16 scale should be about 15.9mm in diameter, giving a radius of about 7.95mm. A cylinder with a 46mm radius x 74mm length would look more like a squat barrel.

Ok I worded that wrong if you lay the 270 deg. radius flat it would be 46 mm wide note that would be covering the kit part with a shield not a bare muffler.. Thanks anyway for the offer ...

Edited by Jim3

Hi guys. Jim that update helps.

It does drop the price, but they are still pretty big..

1:16 .012 Brass Raw 1.811 2.9134 5.42 in²

using my handy-dandy calculator that i use to calculate the prices of my parts based solely on their size at 5.42 square inches each, a pair of them in brass would be about $12 retail.

Stainless Steel would jump up to about $18 or so.

Nickel is even more, something like $22 would be my guesstimate.