Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone ever build a paint room ?

Well time has come to finely built a paint room.So any how I'm thinking of building a small room strictly devoted to painting and will include a good sized spray booth and work bench. I do have a few ideas on how to build such a room just wondering if anyone has built something like this and can you show it. Also does anyone have a design and or ideas of what items,supplies, should be in such a room. All ideas and pictures welcome.

I am having an idea lately that I want to work out. Instead of a paint-booth, like we all have, I want to make a paint-chamber, a small, sealed cubicle of 4x4 or around that. Just enough for a bench and a seat. With a sealed door.

I think this might be a good way of dealing with dust and stuff.

It is easier to accomplish than a whole room and easier to clean. Plus you can use the remaining space for other things.

I am having an idea lately that I want to work out. Instead of a paint-booth, like we all have, I want to make a paint-chamber, a small, sealed cubicle of 4x4 or around that. Just enough for a bench and a seat. With a sealed door.

It is easier to accomplish than a whole room and easier to clean. Plus you can use the remaining space for other things.

This would be awesome.

I started out with the same idea. It was an areabig enough for me to sit at a desk and paint in a small booth. I wasn't happy about my exposure to al the paint fumes and decided to enclose an area in my basement and build a proper fully enclosed paint booth. Works like a charm.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/baddogracing/media/Glove%20Box%20Paint%20Booth/gb1_zps3a9deb4e.jpg.html

If you're interested, the rest of the photos of my set up are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/baddogracing/library/Glove%20Box%20Paint%20Booth?sort=9&page=1

I started out with the same idea. It was an areabig enough for me to sit at a desk and paint in a small booth. I wasn't happy about my exposure to al the paint fumes and decided to enclose an area in my basement and build a proper fully enclosed paint booth. Works like a charm.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/baddogracing/media/Glove%20Box%20Paint%20Booth/gb1_zps3a9deb4e.jpg.html

If you're interested, the rest of the photos of my set up are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/baddogracing/library/Glove%20Box%20Paint%20Booth?sort=9&page=1

That's a serious paint-booth mate! Wish I had the room to do that! ??

Cliffo

I have a 6x6 foot (inside) room built in the garage for painting. I has 4 complete, insulated and unfinished drywall walls and ceiling and a table with a homemade paint booth with an explosive proof exhaust motor pulling paint out through a standard sized (easy to replace) air filter. It exhausts through the garage wall to the outside via a dryer vent thingy.

Since it is insulated and seldom very cold in Arizona, it is fine in the winter and I installed a small 110v window type AC unit in the wall for summertime. Once it cools down it pretty much stays cool. I keep all my cleaning supplies and airbrushes in there along with some junk bodies to test paints on. The lighting is an overhead dual fluorescent 48" fixture and two small spots directly into the paint booth.

Overall, I have no good excuse for not getting something painted, other than laziness. The slight disadvantage is a second vehicle will only fit in the garage if under a certain overall length. I forget the measurement but a Corolla will fit if necessary.

I have a walk-in spray booth. It's about the size of a closet. I can't find any pictures of the inside online unfortunately, just the door from the outside.

There is a surface on the inside for painting, with a filtered spark-free motor running a fan that pushes fumes and air out of the booth, through the wall, and outside.

You sit right inside the door where there is a filter behind you to provide fresh filtered air.

It is a completely self-contained unit with power and fan controls on the outside. It's heavily lit from all sides so there's never an issue with light.

I don't get to use it much though, which is a bummer!

Most all the free time i have is spent on R&D or maintenance for the parts business..

I hope to carve out some time in a month or two to actually build again!

post-8249-0-74291400-1392416259_thumb.jp

Edited by DirtModeler

I converted a dark room to a paint room a quite while back. All I really added was a painting hood, extra shelving underneath the bench for the compressor and a venting system.

I had a long waist high bench, sink, running water and electrical outlets. Pegboard on the walls allowed easy access to various bottles, mixers and cleaning tools.

G

a self made paint room would just be amazing, a few vents and fans and ducts and the dust should not be a problem, now how do real automotive spray guns work on models? Are they just too much and too big for little items? would be cool to shoot like a bunch of bodies with a real gun in a matter of hours.