Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hideous coating on Chrome parts

Folks,

I recently purchased the Revell/ Monogram Slingster customizing dragster. The chrome on the parts appears to be very heavy and obscured many of the details.The center spokes on the wire wheels were completly bridged over. I put all the chrome parts in a snadiwch bag and sprayed them down with EasyOff oven cleaner ( blue bottle) The chrome desolved and was gone in less than five minutes. After a quick rinse and scrub with a tooh bruch I found the chrome was not the problem. The coating they used on the plastic parts before plating is a heavy yellow. I soaked it for 24 hours in Crude Cutter with little or no effect. I rinsed and dried the parts and then put them in Purple Power for about 48 hours. again the results were less than satisfactory many of the deatisl are still cover with this thick coating. It has to be scraped off. Is this normal or is the a fluke?Attached is a photo and you can see the yellow globs left on the parts.

post-2169-0-82169500-1392436106_thumb.jp

I've had pretty good results with Dawn Power Dissolver. It comes in a trigger pump bottle. I squirt some in covered plastic container & let it sit, over night (sometimes longer), & it takes off the chrome & the lacquer under coat.

That's the same product we get this side of the pond, although it's called Fairy power spray, I've found it great for removing paint, chrome and the gunk under the chrome, and it's perfectly safe on styrene