Model Cars Magazine Forum

Max Wedge Headers

Hi Guys,

Anyone know of a model kit source for original looking 413/426 headers? The ones that go upward from the exhaust ports, then back and down.

(Please Mr. Mod, don't bite my head off again if this is the wrong place....)

I have a donor kit or two from who knows what model (eBay), but they look funky. Too thin, too blocky looking and just plain poor.

Anyone know of any decent ones?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Casey, yep, those would do just fine. The shape and size seem to me to be correct and better than what I have.

I think the original JO-HAN '64 Dodge Super Stock kit was the only other kit to include these manifolds, but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone who bought the recently reissued AMT '49 Merc isn't using the optional engine and can help you out, Michael.

Hi Casey, now that's an interesting prospect. Since I recently received a bunch of nice Resin wheels from Comp Resins, a trade sounds real good.

Maybe I'll get lucky.

I've had a look at the ones I have and I'd need to thicken them up a bit then clone them. Lots of work but it can be rewarding. I recently duplicated a Wax Wedge Motor I had laying around (unknown kit) and it came out acceptable.

Thanks for the reply.

Michael

• 2 months later...

I'm a Mopar guy through & through but I'm not huge on superstock/gassers etc, so I'm just guessing here.... I know the motor's are 426s & Max-Wedges... So I'd have to say maybe the Lindberg Colour-Me-Gone/Lawman/Belvedere kits, for the headers in first pic ? ... As for the 2nd pic... No idea ?? I'm not familiar as to what kits are still avail' but maybe an Altered-Wheelbase Mopar?

Edited by CJ1971

First ones are max wedge only

I don't have any kits with them ,,,but sure would like several sets of they are avail in the afternkt .

Lindberg Dodge has headers in it I believe.

2nd ones ,,like mentioned were avail in the Johan 1964 Dodge,, don't think they were avail in the 64 Plymouth kit

Yes, the AMT '49 Merc optional Mopar engine has similar (but not identical) cast-iron factory headers like the first pic.

The Lindberg "Color Me Gone" kit has tube headers similar to the second pic, but the length of the primary pipes between the heads and the first bend is much shorter.

I just looked in both kits to be sure.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

these came in the rare MPC/AMT '28 Model A two door sedan

YES YES YES...I knew there were some more somewhere. I'm looking in my kit now. It's incomplete, but my curiosity is rampant.

EDIT: Yup, there they be, but they're a little fat. They DO have closer to the shape at the rearmost-port (that's shown in Greg's post 10) than the ones in the '49 Merc have.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The thru the inner fender style of wedge headers from the old JoHan kit are reproduced by MCW,, Model Car World, maker of resin kits, parts and OEM paint colors.

A direct copy of the old JoHan headers.

1964 Dodge Ramcharger & Plymouth Super Stock 426 Stage III Short Ram Engine with Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds. The Stage III Max Wedge engine was the scourge of the drag strips in the early 1960s. Chrysler made one last improvement with these gigantic cast iron exhaust manifolds called "Tri-Y". It is estimated that less than 10 were actually built in this configuration, mainly because these Tri-Y manifolds were not only super heavy, the very first thing all drag teams did was take off thefactory cast iron manifolds and bolt on custom tubing headers.

TRI-02_zps032e4820.jpg TRI-04_zps1a873194.jpg Looks like they used em on something. http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/353309-The-Buzz-with-Steve-Mags-Swap-Meet-Treasure-Hunt

Edited by Greg Myers