Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Jordan 191

Let me just state that this was the first model I have built since the mid-90s, and the first car model I've ever built in my life. I used to build primarily Star Wars models and some naval ships back then. :)

This was an interesting build for me, as I had bought it because it was relatively inexpensive price-wise, and I figured cheaper would be better since I was starting from scratch as far as my skill level was concerned. I did not bother doing a gloss coat for this model as I was more interested in making it to the end of the build. There are definitely things I would have done differently, but part of the fun is in learning how to do model building again. I will likely revisit this model again in the future. I used all of the decals included with the kit for the multi-tone paint job. Next time I will definitely paint those parts. It was a highly interesting learning experience with the decals as I had rarely used them many years ago.

Biggest problem I had was with regard to the engine cover not fitting properly. You can see it in the pictures, it was worse on the other side of the car, hence why I didn't take a picture of the other side of the car! I couldn't come up with an idea on how to fix that. Though I may have an idea as to what the issue was, but I did not want to damage the model by trying to fix it, so I just chalked it up as part of the learning process.

All in all, I had fun with the build. It's nowhere near the level of the various Jordan 191 builds I have seen! But it gives me hope that I can improve even further. :D

The lighting varies, you may notice I forgot to add the side mirrors in the first few pictures but did add them near the end. I built the Bertrand Gachot version of the car. I know the instructions called for the Fluorescent Red paint on the mirrors, but there were various times in 1991 where Gachot's #32 Jordan had the light green mirrors, and I felt the light green mirrors fit in better with the car overall.

Thanks for looking!

QgtNa3A.jpg

RrPVt6D.jpg

cLC4zFZ.jpg

uMRHDUZ.jpg

8m7mJ8C.jpg

ZphG71A.jpg

H5tjb78.jpg

Fxbaj4x.jpg

qwZPEm8.jpg

Great build! My engine cover has a gap on the left side just like yours!

I don't think you need to gloss coat it. The real race car was not overly shiny.

Were you ever able to figure out what caused the gap?

I almost feel like it has something to do with the lower piece being at the wrong angle, but I could be mistaken on that. It seems very few people from what I could find talk about the engine cover problems.

Great first effort!

Thanks Danno!

I actually have 3 more kits waiting to be built, but I am thinking of buying another one because I kind of would like to work with the photo-etched parts. Decisions! :D

Were you ever able to figure out what caused the gap?

I almost feel like it has something to do with the lower piece being at the wrong angle, but I could be mistaken on that. It seems very few people from what I could find talk about the engine cover problems.

I think the engine cover is warped. I can get mine to bend into place, but it pops back out. I could glue it down if I didn't care about removing it. I know that people can do things with hot water or hot air, but mine is an old build and I would hate to mess it up over that.

I think the engine cover is warped. I can get mine to bend into place, but it pops back out. I could glue it down if I didn't care about removing it. I know that people can do things with hot water or hot air, but mine is an old build and I would hate to mess it up over that.

Thanks for that information Jordan!

I began to think maybe it was something with the molding process. Older builds of the car that I've seen online did not have this issue at all, or at least no mention of this issue....makes me wonder if the actual mold might have a problem.

Your build is quite gorgeous, I like it quite a bit!

@Cobraman, thank you!

X3. You could have picked something easier with 4 wheels to start :) . I like it!

For such a long layoff, and such a challenging subject you did awesome! Great effort and really is good stuff.

I will be honest, I bought it because I thought it would be an easy build.

I somehow correlated price with difficulty. It was only when I started working on it, that the thought entered my head, "Maybe I should have settled for something a little easier." :)

With that said, I'm actually glad I did this because the challenge was quite fun, and while I wanted to post on here with questions I had, I decided not to, just to see if I could come up with solutions on my own. As I always say, you cannot learn if you do not make mistakes. But it gives me a tremendous appreciation for so many of the completed models in general that I've looked at on this section of the forum.