Model Cars Magazine Forum

ITC 1911 MERCER RACEABOUT 1/8 scale

f1ford48

Ordered a HM Mercer from Gasolinealley.com, just easier this way, if he has what you want, e-mail the desired kit, they invoice you and pay.......deal completed. But be aware, his kits are pristine, 100% complete, they look like you just bought from the Hobby Shop in 1950! Price reflects this, but is well worth it. Well packaged, priority mail and insured if you like. You pay the ship charges. Good people to deal with.......but again, pricey. When I have ordered from them, I never have to worry if the kit is not complete, wheels warped or the wood looks bad from too much heat/water damage.

He will gladly answer any question you might have.

Rick B)

Thanks-sounds like a great source-I will check them out

Ed Roy..............I once knew a individual who did what Ed did, but not with cars.......train engines. His old work shop looked like it was about to fall in, a dirt floor, smelled like then inside of a boiler and tools were everywhere. A work bench sat in the middle of the shed, made from RR cross ties, had to be to support the weight of a scale Big Boy (I believe the scale was 1/4 scale, not sure), every nut and bolt, sand in the sand box to the complete and fully operable boiler, controls functioned in the cab, the horn worked from steam and of course the lights all worked from the scale generator...........just like Ed Roy's scaled down real cars.........so when I see this type of work, there is no comparison...........these guys are dying out and you do not see this workmanship being carried on. There is a fella, I would need to research, who does work on this level in South America..........but again, I can not recall where I read about him.

Its not good enough that it looks like the subject, it also has to operate like the subject............oh, that Big Boy w/tender and a section of scale track was sold to help pay to bury that kind old man.........where it is @ today, I have no idea, but I bet it is the center piece where it sets. I do remember him saying @ that time when I saw it last.........weight was over 300lbs..... :o

Thanks for sharing this..........I like the photo of him setting their w/his creations.

Rick

Edited by Pocherphile

• 2 months later...