Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Problems! Need Help!

I have been struggling with painting models most of my life. I can build them, detail them, make them look like they are the real thing......except when I get to the paint! This time I think I finally have it figured out and i get the wrong paint.....

I am building a 60 Starliner, that is turning out great, I went with Model Master Napoleonic Violet for the color, I did the frame and all the interior with this color and trimmed it in white. (Still not realizing I would have a problem later) I painted the dash, and then cleared it, it turned out great, then the body was ready for paint, so I loaded up the airbrush, got the booth ready and started to paint! A few good coats, and it looked flawless, I thought it would be my best paint job yet! Until.... After it had dried, I realized that this paint was flat %&#@. So I decided to wet sand it, paint it again and try to clear it, it didn't help much! So now I soaked it in Purple Power, and am ready to start over.

Because this build is looking so good, I really want to stay with this color, I think it fits the Starliner beautifully! I know people use Future Floor Polish for a good clear and I've seen how well it works. Question is:

1) Will that make a flat paint shine?

2) Should I still clear coat it?

2a) How long should I wait to put the clear on?

2b)should I wet sand it before I clear it?

3) Is Napoleonic Violet available in a gloss?

I am really up against a wall here, this is the first kit that I had built in 15 years, and I haven't touched it in a year (mostly because of building a new work room). I love building model cars, and I want to stay in it, but am a little lost right now as to what to do! I need to finish this one so I can go on to the next.

Help!

model-master-ii-enamel-flat-napoleonic-v

Edited by Bandit17

I'm certain that that color is a flat only.You can gloss it with Future(it levels nicely) OR use a clear enamel(not lacquer!) with your best option for that being the clear gloss in the Model Master line.Wait until the violet is dry to shoot the gloss-see the bottle side for any recoat window information.You can sand it if you choose but the smoothness will be as a result of polishing the clear enamel or the Future leveling out as it dries.

I'm certain that that color is a flat only.You can gloss it with Future(it levels nicely) OR use a clear enamel(not lacquer!) with your best option for that being the clear gloss in the Model Master line.Wait until the violet is dry to shoot the gloss-see the bottle side for any recoat window information.You can sand it if you choose but the smoothness will be as a result of polishing the clear enamel or the Future leveling out as it dries.

Ok, that sounds good to me! I will try it out and see how it goes. Time to get this build done.... Thank you Tony!