Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is it? # 01 FINISHED

Thought of making a weekend edition of our known and loved Auto ID.

Talked to Harry and I have his blessing, so here it goes.

I plan on posting the What is it? quiz every Friday just after Harry posts the answer the the regular Auto ID, and I will post the answer on Sunday evening (Sunday evening for me GMT-3) :lol::lol:

The rules are: The car has to to run under it's own power, and a human being has to be able to drive it. And that's about it.

It can be a one off, a car somebody built in his or her garage, a billion Dollar prototype, a full production car, you name it.

To avoid confusion, the custom cars, hot rods, and modified stockers are out.

As on regular Auto ID, DON'T POST ANSWERS OR HINTS HERE, JUST PM ME WITH THE ANSWER.

30578055.9cf301ab.jpg
ANSWER IS: IT'S A 1904 BONADEI
Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

If its built in someones garage, it IS a custom car, kit car or not. If it's a ONE off, HOW are we to ID it IF THERES ONLY

The custom cars I'm referring to are cars built by a manufacturer like Chevrolet, Ford, VW, you name it, and then customized. Those will be off.

If a guy builds a car in his garage, without using a specific existing car as a base, then it's a prototype, and those are on.

How to find them? Reserach. If I could find it so can you :lol:

But don't worry, it won't be always a one off.

no thanks.

OK, it's your choice my friend. If you don't feel comfortable playing, don't play.

The idea is to have fun, and to have a nice time.

Occasionally, I believe you will see a car you know, as you have great car ID knowledge, after all, you are almost every single week among the winners of the game, and when you do, you are welcome to to send the answer!!

After a couple of happy hours I conclude it's not car A which has wire wheels but not chain drive, and it's not car B which has chain drive but not wooden wheels! Good one Tulio.

Edited by DonW

After a couple of happy hours I conclude it's not car A which has wire wheels but not chain drive, and it's not car B which has chain drive but not wooden wheels! Good one Tulio.

Having some happy hours, that's the idea!!!!

The first time I saw a picture of this car I almost went crazy trying to find out what it was!!!! Had a big surprise tough :lol:

The answer is:

1904 Bonadei.

A car built by Claudio Bonadei, born in Italy, living in Brazil in 1904.

He built the car inside his workshop using a engine imported from France, and fabricating the rest of the car.

After the car was completed, he realized he couldn't get the car out of the workshop, so he just hammered the wall down!!!!

http://scuderiabrazil.blogspot.com.br/2013/12/claudio-bonadei.html

Our Winner of the week:

MikeMc

I don't know if he copied a Panhard, but many of the cars of the period looked a lot similar to each other.

The design of the hood is the same and has similar front suspension, lights, etc. The big difference was wire wheels. Google 1902 panhard levassor and you will see what I mean. Actually the early years of the automobile were wild and wooly! Very few cars resembled each other until maybe 1910 or so when the shape and layout of cars converged.

Looking forward to the next challenge.

The design of the hood is the same and has similar front suspension, lights, etc. The big difference was wire wheels. Google 1902 panhard levassor and you will see what I mean. Actually the early years of the automobile were wild and wooly! Very few cars resembled each other until maybe 1910 or so when the shape and layout of cars converged.

Looking forward to the next challenge.

Agreed.

Now take a look at those two and see the similarities:

1902 Darracq:

30666869.c14a1e08.500.jpg
1902 Dennis:
30666867.47aa2ed4.500.jpg
They looked like each other. Manufacturers copied what was working and were quick to discard what didn't, and because the times were crazy and wooly, they did try some really wild things!!!
Not much before those cars were made, radiators were behind the engine or under it, exposed to damage. Someone installed it in front of the engine above the frame rails, and voilá, everibody started doing the same.